• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Most affordable DMR + BP capable radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

Ive been trying to figure out what is the most affordable option for DMR with the BP feature, but I could really use some help from people with more familiarity with the different models of DMR radios. Also, are there any without additional software costs?
Due to the sheer amount of models, makes, etc of DMR radios, I really don't even know where to start or what is what. Many don't explicitly state what features come with vs firmware upgrade. Also, is it necessary to go with Motorola only(and thus, software costs), or suggested, or does it not matter, etc?

Basically, if you were to suggest the most basic, entry-level, and affordable (including any additional software costs if applicable) DMR radio with basic privacy, what would it be, or what models/line would you suggest?

Just for additional info - it would be for small business, and nothing critical (purely for convenience), so I'm not concerned about using eBay or anything similar.

Ive found listings like these -

Thanks.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There really is no such radio once the big M is mentioned. Basic encryption is found on even the cheap GD-77 and similar radio, which sell for under $100, but is illegal in the ham bands and requires a FCC license for business use. The btech 6x2 and look alike work Anytone have more features but cost double the cost of the entry level radios.

ScubaJungle

There really is no such radio once the big M is mentioned. Basic encryption is found on even the cheap GD-77 and similar radio, which sell for under $100, but is illegal in the ham bands and requires a FCC license for business use. The btech 6x2 and look alike work Anytone have more features but cost double the cost of the entry level radios.
Yes, I understand licensing is necessary, we are just trying to figure out what the bottom line of radio costs would be.
In the case of something like the GD-77 - if a few local businesses came together to open a license to have contact with each other - if one business is running a GD-77, and another a Motorola, both with BP, would it work properly, or is there compatibility issues between BP in different makes?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Compatibility of the encryption is a problem, especially with the cheaper radios. I have the btech 6x2, which I mentioned. It generally sells for a little less than the Anytone, but they come out of the same factory. I also have a GD-77, and the btech is without question a better unit. For the light use you are looking at, it would be my choice. Motorola uses the DMR standard, but they have their own proprietary modifications, and I don't think they would be compatible with other brands for the encryption. The cheaper radios have limited encryption and someone could find the key.
Take a look at this. Motorola DTR600 - Digital Display Two Way Radio More expensive, no licensing fee, and use frequency hopping to be 100% secure. The only factor that might come into play is the range. It might be the cheapest and most easily deployed in the long run (DMR is not the radio to learn programming, even for limited frequencies).

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
What is BP? Bluetooth programming?

If that's the case, none of the Cheap Chinese Radios (CCR) have that yet, to my knowledge, though I understand Anytone is apparently working on it.

As far as encryption is concerned, the CCRs are not going to be compatible with any other radio brand. But all do offer some level of encryption.

As far as models, the CP200d, XPR3300, XPR65xx can all be picked up reasonably on eBay, but they will not have bluetooth programming, if that's what you're referring to with BP.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the Moto DTR radios. Range is reported to be better than you might expect for 900 mHz. (... and "BP" means "Basic Privacy").

ScubaJungle

Perfect - thank you guys, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Sorry alcahuete, I shouldve pointed that out (although bluetooth would be cool too). The DTRs do look nice, I'll have to see how important encryption compatibility is and go from there.
With the DTR600, you said no licensing fee - is that for use of the radios themselves? Someone would still have to purchase the Motorola programming software, right? Im guessing the software for the Btech or Anytone is free?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Perfect - thank you guys, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Sorry alcahuete, I shouldve pointed that out (although bluetooth would be cool too). The DTRs do look nice, I'll have to see how important encryption compatibility is and go from there.
With the DTR600, you said no licensing fee - is that for use of the radios themselves? Someone would still have to purchase the Motorola programming software, right? Im guessing the software for the Btech or Anytone is free?
The Motorola DTR/DLR series are 900MHz FHSS (freq hopping spread spectrum) digital business radios. They operate in the unlicensed 900 MHz band (which requires no license) and they are not compatible with any other analog/digital radios. While not encrypted, the FHSS pattern they use can be changed so receiving them with another DTR/DLR radio would be extremely unlikely. The programming software is free from Motorola.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

No worries. :D

The DTRs are great radios. They are not encrypted, but as mentioned above, they really don't need to be. They can't be monitored with a scanner or other radio at all, and making them secure from other DTR radios is easy. Don't need a license and programming software is free.

And yes, software for the Btech and Anytone is free.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to the others for supporting my suggestion. I would lke to get a DTR radio, but unlike my ham gear, they are useless for general communication. I saw my first frequency hopping radio in use over 15 years ago and have been intrigued with them ever since.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What is BP? Bluetooth programming?

If that's the case, none of the Cheap Chinese Radios (CCR) have that yet, to my knowledge, though I understand Anytone is apparently working on it.

As far as encryption is concerned, the CCRs are not going to be compatible with any other radio brand. But all do offer some level of encryption.

As far as models, the CP200d, XPR3300, XPR65xx can all be picked up reasonably on eBay, but they will not have bluetooth programming, if that's what you're referring to with BP.

BP usually refers to Basic Privacy in Moto DMR radios, which is incompatible with all other brands. If this is indeed what the OP is specifically looking for, then an XPR6350/6550 etc would be the cheapest route. I've seen 6550s going for around $100.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
alcahuete, look up the VR-N7500. It is fairly new, costs about $150, and has no display. It connects to a tablet with a bluetooth app (only the Android version works correctly at last checking). All programming and radio control are done through the tablet or phone. It is dual band, built in APRS, basic channel and volume control from the mike, and can be set to turn on when you start your car. There is a bluetooth mike that allows it to be mounted just about anywhere in a vehicle. There is supposedly an HT version, but I have not found it for sale. I use an old cell phone because the app is battery hungry if you leave it connected. It has channel banks, and just using the radio limits access to the one bank of 16 frequencies without the tablet or phone.

stmills

I have been using the EVX-S24 for a few years now. I have been programming end user radios for my department but this was my first time using DMR. I obtained this to use the DMR for interop with some other sites and to experiment with some of the amateur DMR networks, our primary work channels are still analog. The CPS was originally free from Vertex and has remained free as Vertex was absorbed into Motorola. It has everything installed from the start - no paid firmware updates. I really like the size and that it has the option to charge from a standard usb phone jack as well as drop in charging.

ScubaJungle

I have been using the EVX-S24 for a few years now. I have been programming end user radios for my department but this was my first time using DMR. I obtained this to use the DMR for interop with some other sites and to experiment with some of the amateur DMR networks, our primary work channels are still analog. The CPS was originally free from Vertex and has remained free as Vertex was absorbed into Motorola. It has everything installed from the start - no paid firmware updates. I really like the size and that it has the option to charge from a standard usb phone jack as well as drop in charging.
This looks like a nice option as well. Do you know if there are still compatibility issues with these for Basic Privacy to a brand Motorola radio, even though Motorola bought(?) them?

After looking into these models more, Im thinking I can probably use some of them for amateur DMR also at home/out of work, instead of buying two radios. I didn't really consider getting DMR for amateur, but I suppose if I have a capable radio I can use it for both and give digital amateur radio a shot.

stmills

They work great having amateur in some banks and business in others. I have my first banks as my business banks and the last as amateur. If I recall from research the analog is standard voice inversion and the digital has the Motorola Basic and Enhanced Privacy.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
BP usually refers to Basic Privacy in Moto DMR radios, which is incompatible with all other brands. If this is indeed what the OP is specifically looking for, then an XPR6350/6550 etc would be the cheapest route. I've seen 6550s going for around $100.

Yes, the OP clarified that in a later post. I've been in the industry for 24 years and never heard it referred to as BP. Oh well. :)

ScubaJungle

Yes, the OP clarified that in a later post. I've been in the industry for 24 years and never heard it referred to as BP. Oh well. :)
Now that I think of it, I think that "BP" is often used because that is how it is displayed in DSDPlus. I'm not sure, but that would definitely make sense - I don't think it is an industry acronym or anything that you missed, just an internet thing among DSDPlus support.
They work great having amateur in some banks and business in others. I have my first banks as my business banks and the last as amateur. If I recall from research the analog is standard voice inversion and the digital has the Motorola Basic and Enhanced Privacy.
Cool, that seems like a great idea to get the most out of the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.