SDS100/SDS200: Most efficient way to scan trunked systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillC

Premium Subscriber
I need some advice on programming my SDS 100. All the agencies I want to monitor are on the same p 25 trunked system. If I create a separate Favorite for each agency and have all selected will this create unnecessary overhead on the scanner? If I use 5 separate favorites does this duplicate the whole trunk architecture 5 X for the scanner to wade through? My other option is to create a single favorite with all agencies contained in the one favorite.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best favorite scheme?
Thanks

Bill

tvengr

Well Known Member
Use a single system to scan all of the agencies. Put the talkgroups for each agency in a separate department and turn departments on and off using quick keys. If each agency is in a separate favorites list or system, you will miss transmissions. Let's say you have 4 favorites lists (Fire, EMS, Sheriff, Public Works). While scanning EMS, Sheriff, and Public Works, you will miss anything occurring in the Fire favorites list. If the agencies use a single trunked system with separate departments, the scanner will immediately go to activity in any of the agencies..

I run 2 scanners in my vehicle, one for fire and one for police. I find myself missing activity using a single scanner for both, especially with busy systems.
same here... here in Cleveland we have 2 systems...Ohio Marcs and GCRCN... i have on scanner running 1 and the 1 running the other

Hit_Factor

I need some advice on programming my SDS 100. All the agencies I want to monitor are on the same p 25 trunked system. If I create a separate Favorite for each agency and have all selected will this create unnecessary overhead on the scanner? If I use 5 separate favorites does this duplicate the whole trunk architecture 5 X for the scanner to wade through? My other option is to create a single favorite with all agencies contained in the one favorite.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best favorite scheme?
Thanks

Bill
Program the FL with one system and all TGs that interest you. Use service types to turn on and off fire, police, ems as needed.

If missing transmissions is unacceptable, then you need more scanners.

If it's just public safety P25, a unication G4 may work well for you. It costs less than another SDS.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Just remember, there are 3 levels of quick keys....

1. Favorite lists X - E key
2. Systems -.X - E key
3. Depts / sites - ..X - E key

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have one scanner dedicated to scanning one trunked system. Certainly that could be broken up among multiple scanners, but none of them would ever leave the system being monitored. Separate scanners are used for conventional, etc.

The problem is you must be receiving the control channel (constantly) to not miss something. Certainly when a voice call of interest comes in, the scanner leaves the control channel (as you can't hear it all). Breaking up one system in any means other than using departments (or multiple receivers) will cause you to miss calls (even while the scanner is not busy with anything else).

BillC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I got my sds set up and it’s working great. It’s got quite a learning curve but I’m chipping away at it. I hate to admit it but I miss the simple days of the bc210’s.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.