Most sensitive VHF/UHF analog base station scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleflag

New or vintage, what are your votes for the most sensitive vhf/uhf programmable base station analog scanner using the stock antenna? I'm looking for that one classic scanner, new or old, that people remember as being the best at bringing in weak signals.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Most senstitive

Several of the early Radio Shack scanners had very sensitive VHF front ends, to the point of being useless if you were too near a transmitter. I had some of them, but my favorite is still my Pro 106.

majoco

Stirrer
The catch is "using the stock antenna". You wouldn't use the 'best' scanner/receiver with a rubber ducky or a back-of-set telescoping thing, would you? Would you - really?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
New or vintage, what are your votes for the most sensitive vhf/uhf programmable base station analog scanner using the stock antenna?

With most scanners, this is a test of the antenna and its location, and not of the scanner's receiver.

battleflag

The catch is "using the stock antenna". You wouldn't use the 'best' scanner/receiver with a rubber ducky or a back-of-set telescoping thing, would you? Would you - really?
I very much understand the importance of the antenna. That being said, I'm interested in an "out of the box" opinion.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why? It's pointless. Even with a good indoor antenna, the placement of the antenna and objects around the antenna (walls, metal roofing, trees, etc.) make far more difference than the receiver.

prcguy

That's where the Yupiteru 7100 excels, its very sensitive on a service monitor while also exhibiting excellent adjacent channel rejection and no Intermod. Some scanners can measure very sensitive but fall apart connected to a large antenna. The 7100s great sensitivity also helps when using rubber duck antennas where the 7100 can hear things clearly where other hand held scanners are scratchy using the same antenna. I've had several of the other scanners mentioned and none of them holds up to the 7100 in VHF/UHF sensitivity.
prcguy

I very much understand the importance of the antenna. That being said, I'm interested in an "out of the box" opinion.

battleflag

Why? It's pointless. Even with a good indoor antenna, the placement of the antenna and objects around the antenna (walls, metal roofing, trees, etc.) make far more difference than the receiver.
Don't read too much into the question. I'm only interested in people's personal experiences not the technicalities. It is enough for me to hear what people's opinions are of their best scanner fitting my description without getting into a technical discussion. Some products have classic standouts and I'm looking to see if that exists in the scanner world of vhf/uhf analog scanners.

battleflag

That's where the Yupiteru 7100 excels, its very sensitive on a service monitor while also exhibiting excellent adjacent channel rejection and no Intermod. Some scanners can measure very sensitive but fall apart connected to a large antenna. The 7100s great sensitivity also helps when using rubber duck antennas where the 7100 can hear things clearly where other hand held scanners are scratchy using the same antenna. I've had several of the other scanners mentioned and none of them holds up to the 7100 in VHF/UHF sensitivity.
prcguy
I was not familiar with this and looked it up on eham.net. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

prcguy

If you get a used MVT-7100 it will probably need a new memory capacitor but those only cost a few $$ and are not too difficult to replace. Otherwise a quick adjustment of its master oscillator on a service monitor and its good for another 20yrs of service.
prcguy

I was not familiar with this and looked it up on eham.net. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Uniden Bearcat BC780XLT. Excels at pulling in weak VHF and UHF military air signals.

lmrtek

Sensitivity is cheap and easy to produce but without SELECTIVITY, a sensitive scanner is quite useless

That being said, the Radio Shack pro2004, was one of the few scanners I ever had that had a very tight and well designed front end

The Bearcat 210 was a well made scanner and pretty much the industry standard in the 70s and 80s

The Bearcat 300 was another high end scanner of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.