MOSWIN MARRS SLATER Talkgroup assignments preplanned

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I assembled a spreadsheet here TGs 3 Mo Systems that includes all the listed TGs for the three large trunked Public Service systems in the state.
Clearly, there has been planning to assign banks of TGs to each system that are not duplicated (with a few exceptions).

After the first 100 or so TGs the vast majority of TGs only appear in one system.
eg:
TGs 115-137 MARRS
TGs 151-166 MOSWIN
TGs 200-273 SLATER
and then larger chunks:
TGs 3956-10715 MOSWIN
TGs 11500-13011 SLATER
etc - take a look at the spreadsheet (also attached - change txt to xlsx)

Some TGs are clearly the same/shared/patched on 2 systems:
TG 5102 is Jefferson County Travel on both MOSWIN & SLATER
TG 23596 was listed as Fire 1 Interop in MOSWIN, and FA Events but may be the same talkpath

Some are clearly NOT the same:
Many of the low-number TGs are different in each system: TG8 has 3 very different uses in KC/STL/Rest of Mo
TG 27001 is Grundy CO ALL in MOSWIN, but St Charles County Interop 2

That said, of the almost 3000 TGs listed only about 80 or under 3% are duplicated.

Clearly, there was planning for ISSI roaming and potential full integration (politics aside...)

well done!

Attachments

• TGs - MOSWIN SLATER and MARRS.txt
    251.9 KB · Views: 32

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
I can't view the file (opens as garbage for some reason), but there is also some cooperation it appears with STARCOM21 on the eastern edge of MO at St Louis boundaries of Illinois.

In most cases, and I haven't investigated lately, not only to talkgroup IDs mesh well, but RIDs also not conflict most of the time.

I have detected a SLATER talkgroup on STARCOM21 before, but don't have full details.

I'd be interested to know how well everything is set up between the 2 states in the metro area.

Police chases often go around I-270/I-255 through-out both states with multiple jurisdictions in play. Usually Illinois mobile radios connect back well to the STARCOM21 system when in STL, but if they are on foot with portable, it may not work as well.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Also, SLATER and MOSWIN seem to work together, talkgroups from either system can show up on both.

We just haven't duplicated them, well because we don't know what to do for sure.
At point, we actually had SLATER listed as part of MOSWIN, but some thru a fit.

St Louis CITY uses MOSWIN and St Louis County uses SLATER. So, the 2 have to work together it seems for interoperability etc.

The County is in no way associated with the City (Independent City), and formerly St Louis (city) Metropolitan Police was an agency of the state, but is now controlled by the city (for now)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Also, SLATER and MOSWIN seem to work together, talkgroups from either system can show up on both.

They are separate systems. Users can only roam or patch between Slater and Moswin but the talkgroups do not carry over from one system to the other. UIDs or RIDs also change when they roam away from their home system.

Watch the MoDOT (now called Metro or Metro Motorist Assist on the air) talkgroups on Slater. They are always dynamically assigned a talkgroup in the 65xxx range when they appear on Slater.
Metro motorist assist does have an official talkgroup of 21911 on Moswin which never changes.
The old Motorist Assist TG 55313 listed under Slater has not been used once since they officially moved ops onto Moswin.

When they roam onto Slater, it's impossible to list the Metro motorist assist talkgroups due to them being dynamically assigned. I've logged over 100 different TGs used by the Metro guys in the 65xxx range when they are heard on Slater.
That makes it hard to avoid them if you are running in ID Search mode. They can basically be dynamically assigned a talkgroup anywhere between 65001 and 65535 or 65536. Sometimes they will hold the same Slater TG for a few days but I've also seen it change several times in a couple hours.

As far as talkgroups not meshing between the areas systems, that is true. I'd noticed that some time back. I've always figured there was a very valid reason for that!
I think some of the Moswin TGs that are listed under Slater may be in error. I do a ton of control channel monitoring and I've yet to see any Moswin talkgroups in use on any Slater site. I think some of that is carryover or bad data from way back in the early days of both systems.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I assembled a spreadsheet here TGs 3 Mo Systems that includes all the listed TGs for the three large trunked Public Service systems in the state.
Clearly, there has been planning to assign banks of TGs to each system that are not duplicated (with a few exceptions).
Nice spreadsheet Wally.

I did always notice St Louis City talkgroups on the systems now listed under Zone 2 on Moswin were not duplicated by any Moswin talkgroups as Moswin was being setup and tested.
Same thing with the Slater systems.

And as Starcom21 mentioned, all the talkgroups I've seen on any sites near the border between Illinois and Missouri also appear to not have been duplicated between the two statewide systems.