MOSWIN newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I am unsure if my question belongs here or in the trunking forum or programming software forum.

In the past, I have tried using WIN500 to program my some MOSWIN TGs into my Pro106 with limited results. In WIN500, I'm not sure how the Sites & the 71 Talkgroups get matched together in the software.
In the past I just randomly check nearby sites & Talkgroups, import to my 106 and hope for the best.

Fast forward to now, I started driving around with my Pro 106 in the VHF Public Safety search mode, and have picked up a few MSHP frequencies and there corresponding NAC as well as some STARCOM21 frequencies and there corresponding NACs. I entered them in as conventional frequencies instead
as a trunked system, and have had pretty good results receiving them on a a daily basis.

I'm sure that's not the correct way to program them but I have subpar results using WIN500 regarding MOSWIN Talkgroups, not because of the software but rather my confusion. Also, using the public safety search function, I can get a good idea of my antenna's "mileage", seeing how far out it can reach, by comparing the control channels & alternate channels site coordinates with my location being Cape Girardeau County. Though I may be looking at that wrong as well. I have read the MOSWIN wiki pages even back to 2012, and unfortunately I still do not fully understand how to properly program. I have a brand new Pro 197 in my shack I'm would like to use mainly for MOSWIN.

What is the advantage to programming talkgroups rather than conventional frequencies, regarding MSHP (MOSWIN) and Illinois State Highway Patrol (STARCOM)?

teufler

MOSWIN is a trunking system. You don't scan frequencies, you do scan trunk groups. You can either input talk groups for the Missouri Troops or leave the scanner in search mode when trunking. The scanner uses the grequencies but it displays any talkgroups that it detects. So create objects for the towers that you can detect. Create a trunk system, inpit the frequencies, then go to talk groups and input the groups you want

teufler

ALSO NAC'S

Are not used on Trunking Systems. Conventional okay to filter out what you don't want to hear, like ctcss and dec codes.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info.

I assume the 4 to 5 MOSWIN MSHP frequencies I can pick up from my location (in conventional mode) need to be traced back to their corresponding site/tower. Then go into WIN500 & select each site individually, check which talkgroup I want with that site, import to a scan list and repeat for the other sites. I will experiment in the next few days and see what kind of results I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.