MOSWIN site frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
Does the State have a blanket license that allows use of any of there authorized
frequencies to be used at any of there sites?

The reason I am asking this is because I am hearing units from other troops and
counties that I normally don't hear, I have noticed this on two different sites, this
only happens with enhanced propagation. For example the license for one of these
sites shows 6 frequencies yet DSDPlus channel activity shows 18 different frequencies
and I can confirm activity from other MHP troops and counties on frequencies that
do not show as licensed for this site.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation and I would love to hear it.
Screen 2.png

This is the High Point site that normally has 6 frequencies listed.

nd5y

The only blanket license for the whole state (at least for base/repeater use) is the 700 MHz State License.
The Part 22 licenses only cover the 152 MHz paging frequencies and there are also some licenses for 161 MHz marine frequencies.
Both of those are only for certain market areas not the entire state.
None of the above applies to the frequencies in the screen shot.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Does the State have a blanket license that allows use of any of there authorized
frequencies to be used at any of there sites?

The reason I am asking this is because I am hearing units from other troops and
counties that I normally don't hear, I have noticed this on two different sites, this
only happens with enhanced propagation. For example the license for one of these
sites shows 6 frequencies yet DSDPlus channel activity shows 18 different frequencies
and I can confirm activity from other MHP troops and counties on frequencies that
do not show as licensed for this site.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation and I would love to hear it.
View attachment 87579

This is the High Point site that normally has 6 frequencies listed.
Last night has significant tropo enhancement. That's what caused what you heard.

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
Last night has significant tropo enhancement. That's what caused what you heard.
I understand about the propagation, my question was why the site was transmitting on frequencies it was not
licensed for.

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
It's some kind of DSD error. A trunked site can't magically change frequencies.
I live in Troop F area and I was hearing traffic on this site from Troop C
Troop I and Troop E as well as other counties. The traffic was on the additional
frequencies and not on any of the normal frequencies for this site.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I understand about the propagation, my question was why the site was transmitting on frequencies it was not
licensed for.

Take a good look at the various config text files for DSD in your DSD folder. My guess is one has an error in the data that has been entered in one or more. This is causing DSD to report bogus info.
I can hear about 20 voice channels here from more than one site. When I'm tuned to the control channel for any of the sites, DSD only shows channel activity for that sites frequencies.
As nd5y said, sites can't magically change frequencies and transmit on frequencies the site is not licensed for. The state will apply for a license modification with the FCC if there were a need to chage a sites frequencies around. It's very rare that they ever do this but it has been done at some sites in the past. I've not seen any license modifications for the VHF sites in a long while now.

In your case, it must be an error with DSD as has been said.

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys, I will do some checking in my DSD files.

Status
Not open for further replies.