Moswin

davidshain

Premium Subscriber
I’m finally ready to get a mobile or handheld scanner that will allow MOSWIN monitoring. I jump between my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK and my 2002 Cadillac Deville I use as a work and pleasure car. I’m new to the digital P25 scanner world. I kind of need to monitor MOSWIN, some digital and trunking frequency of local and state LE and FD agencies around Southeast, Southwest and Southern Missouri. Sooooo, my question is what handheld would be good at a reasonable price, ease of use, will tun on 12v adapter, and I can use a BNC connector and permanent mount external antenna. Thx David KB0-ONX

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@davidshain since you will be using it when traveling to different areas you should consider the SDS series scanners, as a number of MOSWIN sites are simulcast.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I’m finally ready to get a mobile or handheld scanner that will allow MOSWIN monitoring. I jump between my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK and my 2002 Cadillac Deville I use as a work and pleasure car. I’m new to the digital P25 scanner world. I kind of need to monitor MOSWIN, some digital and trunking frequency of local and state LE and FD agencies around Southeast, Southwest and Southern Missouri. Sooooo, my question is what handheld would be good at a reasonable price, ease of use, will tun on 12v adapter, and I can use a BNC connector and permanent mount external antenna. Thx David KB0-ONX

As RaleighGuy has suggested, your best choice would be one of Uniden's SDS series scanners: SDS100 (handheld) or SDS200 (base/mobile). Since you specified handheld, then the SDS100 would be best. Yes, it is pricey, @ about $650, compared to some of the other scanners on the market. While the MOSWIN site in your county (Butler) is not simulcast, a number of other MOSWIN sites are. If you are traveling around, whether just in Missouri , or in other states, if your travels take you to, or through, a larger metro area, you are just about guaranteed to encounter simulcast sites in almost all of them. While a number of other, less expensive, scanners would work in your home county, they would not in areas with simulcast sites.

The SDS100 will not work directly with a 12V power source. But a USB power supply, that works with 12V, is an inexpensive item. (The SDS200 runs via 12 volts, but is not handheld.) The SDS100 comes with a BNC to SMA adapter, so that you could use an external antenna with a BNC connector.

The SDS100 uses Uniden's Sentinel software, to maintain the internal database, as well as creating more specific Favorites lists for your areas of interest. Sentinel is a no-charge download from Uniden. However, since you are a Premium Subscriber, a better software choice would be ProScan. ProScan allows you to import exactly what systems & channels you want. It also enables logging & virtual control when the scanner is connected to a PC.

I concur with RaleighGuy's suggestion to have your thread moved to your state form. There, you would get responses from others in your state, as to what works for them, as well as suggestions on what & how to program in the scanner.