• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto dealer to purchase APX Next?

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a Motorola dealer who will sell me a Motorola APX Next.Could someone please recommend a dealer that would do business with a consumer.I tried one dealer and was told Moto does not like dealers selling APX radios to anyone not affiliated with PD FD.Yes I know they are expensive.
Thanks

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Let us know how this works out for you. The NEXT is tied to a Radio Central account, which has to be setup by MSI and they only do this for an agency. Before it can be wire (CPS) programmed, it has to be provisioned on an agency RC account. I know of one private sale, but that person was affiliated with a public safety agency and bought it out of their personal funds.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I doubt you will find a dealer to sell it to you. As said not only the next but radio central will need setup to do the base programming. Maybe as a business MSI will sell it but not to joe ham I would not think. I can assume you will need a MSI account number just to get RC setup.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a Motorola dealer who will sell me a Motorola APX Next.Could someone please recommend a dealer that would do business with a consumer.I tried one dealer and was told Moto does not like dealers selling APX radios to anyone not affiliated with PD FD.Yes I know they are expensive.
Thanks
I think you would have difficulty finding a dealer who is capable of even ordering a Next, let alone one who would sell to an individual. My understanding from talking with one of our reps is that they only offer them for resale through select channel partners or Motorola directly.

What do you plan on using the radio for? The Next would be a complete waste of money if you only plan to use it on ham repeaters or as a hobby radio.

I'm also not sold on the reliability of these radios. We have had several recently where the Android got completely bricked and the main screen and LTE became unusable. The LMR portion of the radio including the top display appears to continue functioning even with the other half of the device bricked, however, it's obviously not something that should happen with an $8,000 device that is less than a year old.

mbnv992

The last radio Motorola made that was halfway decent was the APX8000/6000BN series. These new android / phone looking things that some millennial in an office came up with I’m not sold on yet.

As far as buying one new from Motorola for persoal use ? Complete waste of money, and one simply cannot just walk into a Motorola dealer and order one of these puppies anyway for reasons explained above.

A lot of agencies are still sticking with the 8000 ( if they require multiband usage ) or keeping their tried and true 6000BN’s. In fact, Motorola is so backlogged with orders, 8000’s and 6000’s that were ordered months and months ago are just starting to come in. And if you want accessories for them ? LMAFO. Good luck getting them anytime soon either.

Just IMO of course.

PACNWDude

I am just now receiving APX6000XE and APX8000XE radios ordered a year ago. In other cases, I received the radios, but no single or 6-bank chargers, until just recently (at about the 11-12 month mark). I could order an APX NEXT, but do need multi-band capability, and do not wish to be held to cloud programming by Motorola for changes. To their credit, Motorola still provides my organization with service even when we are in the rear by $600,000 at any given moment in paying the bills. However, with a NEXT radio, they could turn it off instantly if the bill was not paid on time.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have not used the cloud in almost a year for my NEXT. No need to now thats its able to do via cable. I know a few customers who are doing this. No SIM in the radio so no way MSI can see it.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
One of our state agencies just sent theirs back. Something about cellular side not talking to android side of radio. They were planning to buy 90 of them. A nearby county fire dept which still had xtl/xts radios and was finally being forced to buy new radios for statewide trunk compatibility called Moto and the rep showed up with NEXT radios. While I've never held one, I'm pretty sure it's not ideal for firefighters. I doubt it has extremely loud audio either. Well that combined with the "monthly subscription fee" fell totally flat--thanks but no thanks. Next call was to EF Johnson who had them VP6000's within a week. So far, everything good though the techs are still learning the cps.

I know Moto could probably kill trunk sites from IL if internet connected but even so, having a public safety radio that can be killed by factory if it is internet connected (forgot to pay your subscriber fee??) seems very problematic. I no longer trust anyone. Then there is hacking....

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
While I've never held one, I'm pretty sure it's not ideal for firefighters. I doubt it has extremely loud audio either. Well that

It's soooooo not ideal for firefighters. Audio is comparable to a "normal" APX, but there is no way a firefighter in gear and gloves could do anything on that teeny little Android display (change zones etc). /\/\ has been touting the VIQI (pronounced Vicki) voice control feature, but there's not a snowball's chance a firefighter in an SCBA mask will make that work. I have my doubts that anyone on a noisy incident scene could get it to work reliably 100% of the time; even Siri isn't quite that good (I speak from experience).

I know Moto could probably kill trunk sites from IL if internet connected but even so, having a public safety radio that can be killed by factory if it is internet connected (forgot to pay your subscriber fee??) seems very problematic. I no longer trust anyone. Then there is hacking....

On top of that....

When the NEXT first came out a rep brought a couple by my office. Very pretty, but originally they were intended to be programmed through the Moneyrola Mothership only; I pointed out that this is very problematic for public safety because if you need to program in a hurry and the internet is down, you're screwed.

Some time later I found out that they changed the rules so that you could program locally after the initial cloud program (which they really ought to do at the factory before it's shipped). Guess a lot of people besides me complained about the Mothership-only programming....

I am massively unimpressed with the idea of an internet-connected public safety radio; as you mentioned, what a juicy target for hackers. And it's Android-based to boot!!! Talk about a double whammy!

And it uses different batteries than the rest of the APX family. I hate when they do that. It might be pretty good for an administrator who isn't out on the street very often (and doesn't really do anything physical while out there).

I may still buy one for the office so I have it as a programming test bed; but it sure won't be my primary radio.

Last edited:

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
It's soooooo not ideal for firefighters. Audio is comparable to a "normal" APX, but there is no way a firefighter in gear and gloves could do anything on that teeny little Android display (change zones etc). /\/\ has been touting the VIQI (pronounced Vicki) voice control feature, but there's not a snowball's chance a firefighter in an SCBA mask will make that work. I have my doubts that anyone on a noisy incident scene could get it to work reliably 100% of the time; even Siri isn't quite that good (I speak from experience).

On top of that....

When the NEXT first came out a rep brought a couple by my office. Very pretty, but originally they were intended to be programmed through the Moneyrola Mothership only; I pointed out that this is very problematic for public safety because if you need to program in a hurry and the internet is down, you're screwed.

Some time later I found out that they changed the rules so that you could program locally after the initial cloud program (which they really ought to do at the factory before it's shipped). Guess a lot of people besides me complained about the Mothership-only programming....

I am massively unimpressed with the idea of an internet-connected public safety radio; as you mentioned, what a juicy target for hackers. And it's Android-based to boot!!! Talk about a double whammy!

And it uses different batteries than the rest of the APX family. I hate when they do that. It might be pretty good for an administrator who isn't out on the street very often (and doesn't really do anything physical while out there).

I may still buy one for the office so I have it as a programming test bed; but it sure won't be my primary radio.

I am not a fan either. Pretty radio and I am sure it works well. But dislike for similar reasons. What many folks don't realize is many of the new features for NEXT require back end systems for work.

It is winter here 5 months out of the year. Having a deputy take his gloves off (And eyes away from surroundings) during bitter cold is no go. And I doubt ViCi will work effectively for that deputy when a blizzard is screaming with 40+ MPH winds on the highway as he/she works a pile up.

The initial marketing requiring cloud/subscription based programming has shown to be a disaster. Even though they now allow CPS based programming for NEXT, my confidence in the direction of Moto is in question.

We will stick with the standard APX bricks. KISS.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Not that I am a huge fan of the NXT line there is the FF "XE" version of the Next that is designed to be more rugged than the standard Next.
APX NEXT XE Smart Firefighter Radio - All-Band P25 - Motorola Solutions

I am happy with my 8K XE. Don't need the smartphone interface as I already carry 2 phones (personal and city on call).
Just wanted to post the reminder that the XE version does exist and is more rugged than the standard model.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I am not a fan either. Pretty radio and I am sure it works well. But dislike for similar reasons. What many folks don't realize is many of the new features for NEXT require back end systems for work.
Correct, to actually use SmartConnect, you have to have an IMW and system enhancements, which all cost to implement (for most) and have recurring costs, as do licenses for channels/talk groups one wants to have an LMR and LTE presence. ViQi is only useful if one has the Command Central platform and Premiere One for CAD. Sure, sounds nice on paper to say "ViQi: check a tag" but if you aren't using MSI CAD, there aren't any CAD interfaces, at least not for Central Square products like OneSolution CAD.

These radios have a market for some, but at the price point, they aren't practical for 99 percent of field users, and the touch screen UI is not for those who actually use a radio as a tool. It's a neat toy, and I carry one some days, but it's a BIG radio and awkward to handle. Upwards of 10 grand a radio if you want all bands active.

JVC Kenwood, OTOH, has the VP8000 all band portable (minus LTE of course) for just over half that- and it doesn't require yearly subscription to program or use.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
These radios have a market for some, but at the price point, they aren't practical for 99 percent of field users, and the touch screen UI is not for those who actually use a radio as a tool. It's a neat toy, and I carry one some days, but it's a BIG radio and awkward to handle. Upwards of 10 grand a radio if you want all bands active.

We trialed a couple of them. The officers liked the PTT over cell. I can understand that. I didn't like the ergonomics of the radio, but not a big deal since officers carry them on their belt.
Went with XL-200's instead. I like radios that feel like radios.

JVC Kenwood, OTOH, has the VP8000 all band portable (minus LTE of course) for just over half that- and it doesn't require yearly subscription to program or use.

It's an impressive radio, and the price will really get them a nice slice of the market share.
I'd have given them a try, but I need the LTE integration. NXDN would have been a bonus.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Not that I am a huge fan of the NXT line there is the FF "XE" version of the Next that is designed to be more rugged than the standard Next.
APX NEXT XE Smart Firefighter Radio - All-Band P25 - Motorola Solutions

It's got the bigger knobs and probably a bit more rugged, but you've still got that little Android display and VIQI to contend with. I'd also be a bit concerned about the ability of the display to withstand high temperatures.

I'm still convinced it's well suited for desk types and that's about it.

mbnv992

It's got the bigger knobs and probably a bit more rugged, but you've still got that little Android display and VIQI to contend with. I'd also be a bit concerned about the ability of the display to withstand high temperatures.

I'm still convinced it's well suited for desk types and that's about it.
Yep, pretty much my thoughts about the “NEXT” as well. Great admin radios for LT’s on up, but for the working officer / desk Sgt , SWAT, SRT, etc etc teams - APX8000 all day long.