• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto dealer to purchase APX Next?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You have no access to the internet with a NEXT. There are only a few internet based items that will work on it, mapping to be one of them as long as your logged into it. If not no map.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Well, I just got my quote for an APX NEXT with the standard features..... nearly $10k!!!!!

kv6o

Sooo, where's the logic in pairing something that lasts 10 years + (a radio) with something that lasts 2-3 (a phone)? How many out there are running 8-10 year old smartphones?

I guess Motorola wants you to buy a new radio every 2-3 years now?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sooo, where's the logic in pairing something that lasts 10 years + (a radio) with something that lasts 2-3 (a phone)? How many out there are running 8-10 year old smartphones?

By jove, I think he's got it!

Pretty much the same thing a lot of other people are saying. It's the worst of both worlds combined into one expensive package. It answers the question no one was asking.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

SAS...you'll own nothing, and you'll love it

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Didn't I read it right here, that some agencies have put the management of their radio equipment under the control of their IT department, and thus everything is on a 3 year refresh cycle? So they're replacing BN model APX radios with.....BN model APX radios because they don't know any better? LOL. I want to go to the surplus auctions held by those agencies!

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Didn't I read it right here, that some agencies have put the management of their radio equipment under the control of their IT department, and thus everything is on a 3 year refresh cycle? So they're replacing BN model APX radios with.....BN model APX radios because they don't know any better? LOL. I want to go to the surplus auctions held by those agencies!

This is exactly what is happening with some agencies in the SETX area. Radios being replaced with literally the exact same radio because it was at the end of the refresh cycle.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Surprisingly, a really big potential Next user:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This is exactly what is happening with some agencies in the SETX area. Radios being replaced with literally the exact same radio because it was at the end of the refresh cycle.

Yet another magnificently well-planned expenditure of the taxpayer's hard-earned dollars by an IT department which doesn't know s**t from Shinola about radio systems. The only one with a big grin from that is Motorola....

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Adding to the above…

Heaven forbid if they were purchased with Homeland Security grant dollars. Then they have to sit on them forever and jump through hoops to dispose of them.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have talked to a few IT guys who were the "radio managers" and thats the IT mentality. Everything has a life cycle for them. Instead of putting funds away and not replacing they just replace because some spreadsheet says its due for replacement. I've seen brand new servers yanked out 6 months after install because they are "not supported". If its can't be fixed by warranty its out the door.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Well, our state LE agency just ordered 500 portables and 500 mobiles with Next. Retiring all of their existing APX 6000 portables and XTL 5000 mobiles. Federal Covid grant funding at its best.

Strung out over 82,000 square miles- I guess I will grab some popcorn and watch.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Well, our state LE agency just ordered 500 portables and 500 mobiles with Next. Retiring all of their existing APX 6000 portables and XTL 5000 mobiles. Federal Covid grant funding at its best.

Strung out over 82,000 square miles- I guess I will grab some popcorn and watch.

There is no "NEXT" Mobile as of yet.