Moto radios and monitor button

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs1988

I was looking at the radio control head in the ambulance on duty tonight and I noticed the monitor button. Our portables have these programmed as an option as well. When the monitor function is on the radio disables the PL so one can recieve everything on the that frequency. Does this also disable the PL for outgoing transmissions? This would make sense since the CMED frequencies are the same around the state but with different PLs depending on the EMS region.

Vince

Dubbin

Feed Provider
vs1988 said:
I was looking at the radio control head in the ambulance on duty tonight and I noticed the monitor button. Our portables have these programmed as an option as well. When the monitor function is on the radio disables the PL so one can recieve everything on the that frequency. Does this also disable the PL for outgoing transmissions? This would make sense since the CMED frequencies are the same around the state but with different PLs depending on the EMS region.

Vince

Press it and see what happens. It could be the super secret button that opens the bat cave :D

CCHLLM

In normal configurations, the monitor function affects the receive PL/DPL only. Some MotherMoto portables can be programmed for PAC-RT (vehicular repeater) functions, which allows various PAC-RT mode configurations to disable the portable's TX PL when the portable is placed in the PAC-RT mode, but that again depends upon what particualr RAC-RT configuration(s) are programmed. The mobiles capable of being the PAC-RT daddy mobile have several possible configurations also, but unless those units with that capability are specifically programmed to "strip" the PL in a particular mode, the answer is, that the TX PL is unaffected.

car2back

vs1988 said:

Vince

We have a VHF /\/\ W7 console where I work and with the monitor option "on" it will still transmit the PL. (it will still transmit on the repeater, which requires a PL)

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
To cut a long story short, the monitor button and/or the mic hang up switch disables receive PL only when the mic is lifted. By hearing all transmissions on the frequency you won't step on another user with a different PL. This is common on shared repeaters where each user group has a different tone.

JnglMassiv

In addition to disabling PL/DPL like the others mention, it also can open the squelch. On my HTs (Sabers, GP300/350s, Astro Sabers, Jedis), the MON button sounds like static if there's no traffic on the channel.

Mozilla

Pl

Is there a button on the head labeled MPL, thats Motorolas' designation for Multi-PL
and in certain radios can be used, when set up thru the programming to allow the user to select from a list of PLs. They can be programmed as PL encode only or PL encode and decode. Some of the mobiles, include 9000 series, MCX, Spectra, etc. Portables, included Saber series and some of the newer ones with the proper flash. Even the old syntor and MX could do multi pl, usually 7-8, by a manual selection switch with the appropriate hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.