• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto RSS and Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know of a way to program a Motorola radio on a Mac using Virtual PC?

I am trying to program a MT2000 using a Ribless cable, through a serial to USB adapter. It is hooked up to a Powerbook G4 and I am running Virtual PC 7 with Windows 2000. I am using Motorola MTSX RSS version 6.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

davidbond21

From what I've read, it has to be pure DOS, and not a DOS Window. The RSS programs were designed in the good ol' days when a 486 processor was lightning quick and as such, the software was designed on these machines and today's computers are too fast, your G4 included, and will not run them correctly. You have to have an actual DOS machine on an x86 to program radios with the RSS. I got my info from here:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/maxtrac/maxtrac-index.html
This page was specifically about the GM 300 Radius, but I think the same may apply to yours.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
do what I did
go on ebay and get urself a $50 pentium laptop thats real old like a musty apple and hook it up with DOS
or craigslist for old computers
hopefully more motorola commercial radios will come out and newer operating systems could handle them

At the moment, all of the guys here's motorolas could use some updating to the times, we need newer LMR products, the XTS series is growing but we need something fresh

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
I will look into a cheap older PC to use for that. Any suggestions on a model?

pappy1

Get a windows based laptop that has a slow serial port [ if the port is fast the software will not work] and install msdos 6.22. That is what the manual says to use.

Edit: Use nothing higher than a 486 machine, may have to use a port slowdown software on some 486's.A 386 will be better.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Read about this as well. Interesting that slower is better. I guess it all on how the software was made.

As far as pure DOS goes.. you could install pure DOS in Virtualbox on your Mac. http://www.virtualbox.org/ :D

Note: Being the dork that I am, I tried installing Virtualbox on my XP system that has VMWare and it didn't work out. Don't worry about it if you don't have VMWare installed. Maybe I'll install Virtulbox in one of my VMWare machines. :lol:

This is the only Mac I need. http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php?id=minivmac :lol:

Last edited:

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
I've ordered a cheap older PC and now I am just waiting for it to come in to try it out. Now I am having another issue with the radio. It came with a Speaker Mic, but when it is connected, I am getting no audio and when I key up the mic to transmit, it doesn't work. Everything works fine on the radio, but it functions like the speaker mic isn't even there. I tried cleaning the gold plates on the radio, but it has had no effect. I compared the pins on the mic that I have to pictures of one online, and mine looks like it is missing one, but I am not sure. The pictures have two rows of four, but mine has a row of three and a row of four, but I don't know if that is the issue. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

ab3ai

If you do a google search on "Barts boot disk" it should bring you to a site that explanes how to make a bootable cdrom that boots to dos. I've used mine on my 1.4GHz P4, on P3s and others with no problem. I don't have the link on hand. I also found how to make a bootable flash drive that works as well.
Hope that helps.

ab3ai

If you do a google search on "Barts boot disk" it should bring you to a site that explanes how to make a bootable cdrom that boots to dos. I've used mine on my 1.4GHz P4, on P3s and others with no problem. I don't have the link on hand. I also found how to make a bootable flash drive that works as well.
Hope that helps.

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
The radio i am using is the Motorola MT2000 UHF model, with full keypad and display. I am using the standard Speaker Mic for that model of radio.

Astro25

Yes, it can (and has been) done on a Mac. I don't think you'd want to go any slower than around HT/JT/Visar RSS though.

CPS I know for a fact will work just fine however.

Status
Not open for further replies.