• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto T200 FRS issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roodog2k

About two-three years ago,, I bought the 3-pack of the T200 handhelds just for goofing around with the kids. I just found them and given our self-isolating orders, I brought them out of storage.

So, I charged-up the batteries that came with the radios, kids went for a walk around the block. After about 20 minutes, we started getting low battery indicators on the two radios we were using.

So, I thought maybe the 3.6v NiMH battery packs that came with the radios may have gone south, so I tried using three freshly-charged Enloop AAs. I know the manual says to use alkaline batteries, but the 3 Enloops should be giving me 3.6v on a fresh charge anyhow, just like the battery pack that came with the radios.

Anyway, still getting the same thing. Battery seems to go dead fast.

But, I noticed something. If I power-cycle the radio, the low battery charge seems to go away for the same period of time it took to "discharge" the first time.

Anyway, I'm assuming that this model is one of the 0.5w radios, so I'm just wondering what's going on. Is it looking for 4.5v? Is there some weird sub menu that I'm mssing? Something else going on?

RFI-EMI-GUY

There may be subtle circuitry or a switch that detects a NIMH battery pack vs Alkalines. Your enloops have terminal voltage equal to a discharged Alkaline. The radio thinks it has Alkalines. Do the NIMH Packs plug in with a wire lead?

RFI-EMI-GUY

There is something in either the circuitry or some mechanical device that determines that there is a rechargeable NIMH pack vs AA alkaline cells.

The radio thinks the Enloops are alkaline batteries because physically they are the same only lower terminal voltage. The radio has to determine this or someone could try to charge alkalines in the radio which can explode. It could be a mechanical switch, or a different tab to contact the NIMH pack battery terminal or some software wizardry. Your assignment is to outsmart it or forget about using the Enloops.

n1das

There is something in either the circuitry or some mechanical device that determines that there is a rechargeable NIMH pack vs AA alkaline cells.

The radio thinks the Enloops are alkaline batteries because physically they are the same only lower terminal voltage. The radio has to determine this or someone could try to charge alkalines in the radio which can explode. It could be a mechanical switch, or a different tab to contact the NIMH pack battery terminal or some software wizardry. Your assignment is to outsmart it or forget about using the Enloops.

The Talkabouts sense the battery type by looking for a voltage on one of the terminals between two of the batteries in the pack. The rechargeable NiMH pack is wrapped with heatshrink tubing so that only the end terminals are exposed and doesn't connect to the middle terminals. When installed in the radio, no voltage appears at the terminals between two of the cells. When AA Alkaline or AA NiMH batteries are used, a voltage appears at the middle terminal sensed by the radio and disables the battery charger. I don't think the radio cares about the battery voltage as much as ensuring the battery charger is disabled when AA Alkaline batteries are used.

I have modded a few Talkabouts in the past to enable charging AA NiMH batteries. The terminal between 2 of the cells monitored by the radio has a tab which springs against a pad on the PCB to connect to the PCB. I cut into the plastic in the battery compartment enough to get to the tab which goes down to the PCB and cut the tab off. Now the radio never sees a voltage at that terminal and thinks NiMH batteries are installed all the time regardless of whether I use the heatshrink wrapped original NiMH pack or AA NiMH batteries. The radio now enables the battery charger circuit with AA NiMH batteries installed. With 2500mAh NiMH AA batteries, the charging time for a full charge was doubled to about 30 hours but the operating time was increased to 30-40 hours on a charge, depending on how much I transmitted with them.

I did this mod on a pair of MS350R Talkabout radios. These are the yellow waterproof (1 meter depth for 30 minutes) Talkabouts and were one of a few bubble pack models that were GMRS repeater capable. Repeater capability went away under the new rules for FRS. They also were among a few Talkabout models that don't have Motorola's crappy and much hated X-Pand audio companding system. Just plain non-companded audio. The only drawback to doing this mod was that using 2500mAh NiMH batteries made the radio heavier and no longer would float in water.

Last edited:

Roodog2k

... When installed in the radio, no voltage appears at the terminals between two of the cells. When AA Alkaline or AA NiMH batteries are used, a voltage appears at the middle terminal sensed by the radio and disables the battery charger. I don't think the radio cares about the battery voltage as much as ensuring the battery charger is disabled when AA Alkaline batteries are used....

Perfect, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.