Motor Vehicle Collision in Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBrandonEdwardX

Telecommunications
Hey everyone,
I am very interested in learning more about something that happened today and I figured this would be the community to ask since I have no experience with P25, Fleetnet or anything else...

Today in Hamilton, there was a motor vehicle collision involving two cars. I witnessed it and I called emergency services to the scene as one of the cars had a three year old in the back seat when they were hit from the side by a car going through a red light. Long story short police arrived and told the driver of one car that they would need a tow truck because he car is not drive-able. About 5-10 minutes after that a tow truck showed up to the car that didn't need it. He pulled right up and was even told that it was the wrong car, so I told him that the car around the corner is the one that needs a tow truck.

As the tow truck driver was going around the block, the police officer came around and I told him that the tow truck was there and that I just sent him around the corner; I was under the impression that it was the one the police called. The police officer informed me that the tow truck was not theirs and was not called in by any one of the drivers either. Now if I remember correctly I watched a journalism documentary where they did a story on tow truck drivers and that in Ontario it was illegal for them to show up to a scene without being called by either police or the drivers. He did say that he "Was in the area and decided to stop to make sure everyone was okay"....

Now my question is one, is it illegal for him to be on location without being called? And two, how did he hear about it if Hamilton police are encrypted and no other services like EMS or Fire were called in? This sparks an interest for me because I have an interest in knowing how he or his dispatchers got the information that there was even an accident in the area.

mclove

Premium Subscriber
easy answer to your question eyes are everywhere. someone must have seen it and called friends who tow as a tip. people do it all time, you can't hear police or fire so that's out the question. may i ask whats the big deal any ways ?

XBrandonEdwardX

Telecommunications
easy answer to your question eyes are every where someone must have see it to and call the friends who a tow as a tip people do all time you cant here police or fire so that out the question may i ask whats the big deal any ways ?

It's not that anything was a big deal, it's more or less interesting how fast he showed up and how he may have gotten the information. Yes, there could be people who passed by who called their family or friends and then somehow it was tipped to them. I just find the speed of how he got there very interesting. I guess really for a matter of discussion.

gary123

Also some tow industry guys pay a finder fee to emergency service personnel ( a practice I dont agree with but thats just the reality of it).

hypersight

Many tow drivers use Waze? When someone pegs a crash on the map, the tows see this on the app and swoop in like vultures.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You say a car was hit on the side with a young child in it but ems or fire were not dispatched when you called for emergency services? would think ems was called paged

EJB

20 + year membership
how much then if your so sure? ya, keep dreaming. no one has the radio it would be zapped asap if one was missing
McLove.

Slicer is absolutely one of the smartest people I have ever met. Anything he says is correct and trustworthy.

And he can spell Hamilton correctly.;)

EJB

20 + year membership
Hey everyone,
I am very interested in learning more about something that happened today and I figured this would be the community to ask since I have no experience with P25, Fleetnet or anything else...

Today in Hamilton, there was a motor vehicle collision involving two cars. I witnessed it and I called emergency services to the scene as one of the cars had a three year old in the back seat when they were hit from the side by a car going through a red light. Long story short police arrived and told the driver of one car that they would need a tow truck because he car is not drive-able. About 5-10 minutes after that a tow truck showed up to the car that didn't need it. He pulled right up and was even told that it was the wrong car, so I told him that the car around the corner is the one that needs a tow truck.

As the tow truck driver was going around the block, the police officer came around and I told him that the tow truck was there and that I just sent him around the corner; I was under the impression that it was the one the police called. The police officer informed me that the tow truck was not theirs and was not called in by any one of the drivers either. Now if I remember correctly I watched a journalism documentary where they did a story on tow truck drivers and that in Ontario it was illegal for them to show up to a scene without being called by either police or the drivers. He did say that he "Was in the area and decided to stop to make sure everyone was okay"....

Now my question is one, is it illegal for him to be on location without being called? And two, how did he hear about it if Hamilton police are encrypted and no other services like EMS or Fire were called in? This sparks an interest for me because I have an interest in knowing how he or his dispatchers got the information that there was even an accident in the area.

Are you positive fire wasn't called and maybe cancelled if EMS Arrived? Hamilton Fire has a CAD online by the way.

It's too bad that Hamilton isn't scanner friendly. It's a perfect size city to scan.

Sadly EMS is active, way too active. Fentenyl and Heroin calls are 24/7/365/all day. Ancaster to Stoney Creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.