Motorboat signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I really dont know where to put this, so Ill try here.

While driving around the state today, using the GPS on the scanner, I kept getting very loud signals that would stop the scanner and sounded like a motorboat. Id hit avoid, and it would stop again a second later with the same sound, but not as strong. I think I ended up locking out about 100 channels as I drove around today, all because of this "motorboat" sounding signal.

What IS that? It seems to be on specific frequencies, and when I hear it very loud, there is usually a radio tower or cell tower of some sort within eyesite.

If no one has a clue what I am talking about, I can try to record it. I dont get it when I am at home, on any frequencies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Digital signals.

Yea, I figured that much, but Im wondering if its intermod, or if they are actual transmitters, as it seems strange there would be that many digital transmitters around south Arkansas, especially since I was using a digital scanner, so it should have decoded it. Ive been trying to find sound samples online of what some of the various digital signals sound like in analog mode, but havent had a lot of luck.

Well, as soon as I posted that, I found a sound sample that sounded exactly the same here: http://forums.radioreference.com/sa...digital-encrypted-sound-samples-attached.html

They are reporting its MotoTrbo. I couldnt really see the screen to well while I was driving, but Ill try tomorrow to review the locked out frequencies and see what I locked out. It would seem a lot of them were on VHF high though. Probably sheriff's departments. I know one thing, its VERY annoying having to reach over and hit the avoid key every few miles. Wish there was some way to identify those systems, and remove them from the database the GPS uses as I drive.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Considering that your digital scanner decodes only one of atleast 5 different protocols... Not suprising you got hits it would not decode.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I just got one on the home scanner. The database just lists the transmitter as digital. Tracking county to county in the database for my route today shows LOTS of digital systems, so guess I need to figure out how to edit the database, and just delete all the digital systems that arent P25. Thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.