Motorboating on full database

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've made some road trips recently. The full database was turned on in my 536 with a GPS device connected.

I seemed to have received a number of "motorboating" transmissions. I'm thinking that these may have been a format the scanner doesn't decode (NXDN/MotoTrbro). Perhaps, and remotely, some form of encryption that may not trigger the ENC icon.

Does this make sense?

Then a follow-up if this is a NXDN/MotoTrbo situation. What is the reasoning for including such frequencies/systems in the database if reception won't occur?

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
As you have suspected, yes these are usually formats that the scanner cannot decode, there are some situations where devices may interfere with the same noises as well.

As for why are these in the database, that is because you can buy mototrbo/nxdn/provoice/exc... radios, and listen to those transmissions. There are also computer programs that decode those as well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. . .

It makes good sense for the RR database to contain the information for those "other" types. Still I'm thinking it would be beneficial if Uniden could, if possible, cull such other formats when they do their data grab for Sentinel off the RR database - kind of like how they don't download deprecated channels.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They used to cull the database of certain modes but after people complained, they stopped.
I just wish they would stop culling tdma talkgroups from the HP-1. A system in my area dynamically assigns tdma so I miss all the FDMA transmissions when no tdma radios are on the talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.