Motorcyclist's camera shows him going 164 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepdx

Motorcyclist's camera shows him going 164 mph

A Eugene man was arrested by Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers last Sunday for reckless driving after he was stopped while operating his motorcycle northbound on Interstate 5 in the Eugene area at speeds over 100 mph.

Troopers discovered that the man was taking video using a camera set up on the motorcycle to film the speedometer, and after examining the digital camera video troopers got a big surprise when it showed the speedometer registering speeds up to 164 mph.

The digital camera was seized as evidence and a search warrant was authorized to view its contents.

So much for his YouTube plan...

full story at:
http://www.katu.com/news/17913559.html

Last edited:

windchaser

oregon troopers must have some fast cars or the guy stopped when he saw them. 164 mph on two wheels, thats fast. 0 to be young dumb again. windchaser usmm ret

Almost like the one motorcyclist who filmed himself going the wrong direction on the expressway at night...and running from the cops.

RC54730

The digital camera was seized as evidence and a search warrant was authorized to view its contents.
D'Oh! Yep, if you're not going to run with a proper DVR unit (with a Purge button), it's better not to run with a camera at all :)

RC54730

windchaser said:
oregon troopers must have some fast cars or the guy stopped when he saw them. 164 mph on two wheels, thats fast. 0 to be young dumb again. windchaser usmm ret
He probably just stopped. Doesn't make too much sense to break for it - the conditions have to be just right to get away with it.

mastr

RC54730 said:
He probably just stopped. Doesn't make too much sense to break for it - the conditions have to be just right to get away with it.
Any self respecting bike can out distance a Crown Vic, Charger, etc. in seconds.

Don_Burke

mastr said:
Any self respecting bike can out distance a Crown Vic, Charger, etc. in seconds.
That is assuming the bike is chase ready and the police are not. From here I am unwilling to make such an assumption.

Stopping may have been the only smart thing that guy did that day.

car2back

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to get the warrant before the evidence is seized (viewed)? :confused: Unless the dummy gave consent to view the video (which is entirely possible), to me that's kind of like an officer breaking into a house, seeing dope, and then leaving and getting a warrant for it.

Judge: "So why would a reasonable person believe there is video pertinent to the case on the tape?"
Officer" "Uh, because we took it and watched it before I called!"
:lol:

Last edited:

RC54730

mastr said:
No doubt, but, like I said - the conditions have to be just right. If you're in an area where the cops have IR plate scanners, they may have your license already so there's no point running. Also, it's just generally a bad idea - why run the risk of increased penalties over something stupid like a speeding ticket?

mancow

Database Admin
I thought the same thing but there must be more to it. I would guess they saw the camera and asked for permission to view it. When they saw the spedometer they siezed it and applied for a warrant.

car2back said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to get the warrant before the evidence is seized (viewed)? :confused: Unless the dummy gave consent to view the video (which is entirely possible), to me that's kind of like an officer breaking into a house, seeing dope, and then leaving and getting a warrant for it.

Judge: "So why would a reasonable person believe there is video pertinent to the case on the tape?"
Officer" "Uh, because we took it and watched it before I called!"
:lol:

Don_Burke

Since the vehicle would have been seized upon arrest, they may be able to establish enough probable cause to look at the images taken by the camera during the commission of the offense.

In any case, they have him for 100mph, which should bring an interesting reaction from the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.