Motorhome antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jat1129

Hi guys, I have a question and maybe I can get some suggestions from the experts.
I am a retired FF and Police Officer, we live in a 40’ motor home and travel all the time.
I like to listen to what ever is going on wherever we are parked and I use a PRS500 mainly so I can listen to all bands. Most campgrounds are away from the cities.
I have no problem on my Jeep, I use the RS mag mount and get good reception when we drive around or go into the city.
My question is, I have a rubber roof and fiberglass sides on the RV. I have mounted a ground plane CB antenna and a cell phone antenna on each side of the cab and they work great. I would like to mount a scanner antenna also so I can get better reception when I am inside the RV parked at the campground.
I can put an antenna on top of my rear ladder with a mirror mount and run about 50’ of wire to the front or I can just use a glass mounted antenna on the front windshield.
Both of those could stay on permanently as I go down the road. I thought of using my old portable PVC flag pole and mount an antenna (maybe a RS discone) on the top so it would be higher (20’) then break it down when I move, but I don’t know if grounding would be a problem.
Any suggestions would be very helpful and I am open to any ideas.

Techy

My friend who uses his Motor Home alot has a RS 20-176 ground plane that he uses. Small, lightweight and effective as well. Just my 2 cents on it and I hope it helps ya.

Highpockets

When I had my motor home, I used a tilt mount, 10 foot pole, antenna, near the back ladder. In campground put it up, when leaving, tilted it down, held it down with bungee cord. Ran coax down ladder, under motor home in pvc, up in near motor box cover to scanner. Worked very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.