• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola 3-way Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResonantEvil

Yeah, 3-way radio! A while back I could swear I saw a historical advertisement for Motorola 3-way radios. Clearly it didn't mean the radio transmitted, received, and... something else. It was a marketing term for a particular system set up. I can't find any reference to it any more, and was wondering if anyone here knows what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Michael

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hmm, a Google search for three-way comes up with some interesting stuff.

Maybe Motorola was into that sort of thing in the 70's and then marketing thought it might not go over well with their more conservative government customers.

Between you, me and the NSA, the best way to avoid a three way on your two way radio is to employ DES or AES encryption and not give the key to any 3LA agencies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It may have been a marketing ploy for iDen or Privacy Plus when telephone interconnect was a thing. Probably predates the inter webs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Many years ago I heard that term, and it's similar to what RFI-EMI-GUY said. Radio to radio, radio to "Network" (Network being phone, etc).

Also, in the utility industry, there is a protocol called "3-way" communication that has to do with safety. Basically it has to do with providing direction over the radio and having the receiving party read it back to make sure instructions are clear.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Many years ago I heard that term, and it's similar to what RFI-EMI-GUY said. Radio to radio, radio to "Network" (Network being phone, etc).

Also, in the utility industry, there is a protocol called "3-way" communication that has to do with safety. Basically it has to do with providing direction over the radio and having the receiving party read it back to make sure instructions are clear.

Field Op: Open breaker nine

Dispatch: Breaker five open

zzzzzipppp!!!!

Field Op: WTF Over??

kf8yk

Three way radio was coined back in the 1940's to describe police radio systems that allowed base-to-mobile, mobile-to-base, and mobile-to-mobile communications.

Usually these evolved from a one way system with the base transmitting AM in the 1.6 to 3 MHz band to receivers in the patrol cars, to a two way system with the addition of a 30-40 MHz transmitter in the police car, then three way with an additional 30-40 MHz receiver in the car.

The Connecticut State Police mentions the three way system they developed here: Connecticut State Police Museum - History

Status
Not open for further replies.