• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Alert Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up an old Motorola Alert Monitor (found at the local town recycling/transfer station). There's no ID plate anymore on the back, but from lots of investigation it is a VHF High model. It is also a 12vdc model with the DC cord. It works well, very clean inside. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the 'net on these, but I did confirm the xtal freq is: 158.790. Which is interesting because that was never (to my knowledge) a local freq here in Rensselaer county :) I think that was a Washington County EMS freq at one time. You can sometimes put together a story from these items that you find: the 12vdc cord was neatly wound up, looked like it was stored for a while from the dust, probably someone's dad or grandpa that used to be a FF or EMT, no doubt was in their vehicle, etc. There were some other old scanners in that same pile so I suspect someone's dad or grandpa passed away and his old stuff got thrown away :(
Is there a good source of crystals for these units anymore? It's been a while since I ordered crystals, I read on some other posts that crystal mfr's don't want to sell just a handful anymore, really expensive. Any old hints and tips from the old timers here on RR are always appreciated.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I recrystalled a Motorola alert monitor and a couple of Plectrons more than a decade ago. If I had it to do today, I'd skip it and just get a few of the Uniden BCT-15 type scanners that do two tone. Much better audio and programmable so they're not junk when the tones or frequency changes.

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's a classic for sure. I do have more modern scanners as well, this one just caught my eye on garbage day. I was even more impressed that it actually still worked. If I can find some crystals at a hamfest I may keep it on some local freq just for fun.

DickH

I just picked up an old Motorola Alert Monitor (found at the local town recycling/transfer station). There's no ID plate anymore on the back, but from lots of investigation it is a VHF High model. It is also a 12vdc model with the DC cord. It works well, very clean inside. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the 'net on these, but I did confirm the xtal freq is: 158.790. Which is interesting because that was never (to my knowledge) a local freq here in Rensselaer county :) I think that was a Washington County EMS freq at one time. You can sometimes put together a story from these items that you find: the 12vdc cord was neatly wound up, looked like it was stored for a while from the dust, probably someone's dad or grandpa that used to be a FF or EMT, no doubt was in their vehicle, etc. There were some other old scanners in that same pile so I suspect someone's dad or grandpa passed away and his old stuff got thrown away :(
Is there a good source of crystals for these units anymore? It's been a while since I ordered crystals, I read on some other posts that crystal mfr's don't want to sell just a handful anymore, really expensive. Any old hints and tips from the old timers here on RR are always appreciated.
Those are good receivers. You can still get xtals. As I recall a big place is in Ft. Meyers, Florida. They should know the I.F. freq. so they can make the xtal you need. Looks like there are still some VHF used in your area.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Moto Alert Receiver

Does it look like this one that is in my attic?

Attachments

• MotoAlert Rcvr.jpg
    MotoAlert Rcvr.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,516

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few VHF freqs still used in the area. If I find some crystals for local it would be a hoot just to have it. The local Town Highway dept is on 155.040 and is always interesting to listen during snowstorms. It does receive well on the 158.790 crystal it has, just nothing around here on the freq. That freq may have been an old EMS paging freq for a county north of here, which is interesting because it was found in the trash heap in my county. I'm sure these old radios have lots of stories to tell if they could.

Attachments

• MOTOROLA_ALERT_MONsm.jpg
    MOTOROLA_ALERT_MONsm.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,424

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
Popnokick - That old Motorola receiver looks like the one that an old Fire Chief used to have. I used to work for him at his local car repair garage in town here. His house and car repair business was literally down the street from the fire station. We'd obviously hear the fire siren, but we'd listen to what the call actually was on this radio. At some point I found him a simple Realistic scanner, VHF/UHF, we programmed local sheriff too in there. We also found a Motorola receiver, not like the one I found, for his pickup truck. Had a round speaker in front if I remember. The freqs were 46.100 low band, 800Mhz system now but that low band freq is still used for paging. Siren would go off, he'd listen for the call, then he and the dog would hop in the truck and head to the station (and leave me in charge of the car garage!). Brings back fond memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.