Motorola and ham radio??

Status
Not open for further replies.

avdrummerboy

Hey all, I just had a question, figured this was the best forum for it. I have looked and cannot find much of anything on this but I was wondering if motorola at any time produced ham radio gear? Yes, I know that you can get commercial radios from them and reprogram ham freq.'s in, but did they ever make anything specific for ham radio and if not does anyone know why? It just seems odd, they are one of the more popular companies now- with pretty darn good product- and most all other major manufactures of commercial gear also have their hands in the ham radio market.

Just a curiosity of mine, any information is greatly appreciated, thanks.

KD7WNJ

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and don't forget the "one off" HT220's that failed QC and were sold to hams back in the 1970's.

of course ma M put the brakes on this when some enterprising hams were buying them, and reselling them to LMR customers (at a great profit). Ma M didn't like these radios showing up at their depots and service shops (the boards were marked).

avdrummerboy

Wow, did not know any of that (obviously,) thanks for the info, as I said it was just a curiosity, I don't know why or if MO would be any better or worse than Kenwood, Icom, Vertex (Yaesu), or any of the other big ham radio names.

fineshot1

I think it was back in the 70's moto also made a model Metrum II FM VHF 2 meter mobile.

There were two versions of this made, a 10 watt and I think a 20 watt models.

They were crystal controlled model radios, and I think they may have been based on
a marine radio model that moto was making at the time.

JnglMassiv

Please correct me if I'm wrong but my impression is that the Micom-2H was never made available for general sale and was sort of cooked up by the boys in back without authorization from Schaumburg. By most accounts, the VFO is only marginally useful.

jhooten

That was the problem. It was never advertised, it was only available through the dealer network, and it was over $2k when a premium radio from the big three was under $1k. It was doomed from the beginning and gave /\/\ the opportunity to say "See there is no demand. We gave you what you asked for and you didn't buy them."

Mobat made them just as they do now with the Micom family. BUT they had the /\/\ logo on them and that would not have happened without the consent of the powers that be.

Back in the mid 60's Motorola and GE were the radios of choice for HAM operators on FM, terms such as 80D, 140D, Twin Vee, T41, Progress Line, Pacer, Busoness Dispatcher were popular radios and fueled the popularity of 2 Meters and 440, along with 6 & 10 Meters. The Regency HR2 was the first popular HAM band 2 Meter FM radio.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Back in the mid 60's Motorola and GE were the radios of choice for HAM operators on FM, terms such as 80D, 140D, Twin Vee, T41, Progress Line, Pacer, Busoness Dispatcher were popular radios and fueled the popularity of 2 Meters and 440, along with 6 & 10 Meters. The Regency HR2 was the first popular HAM band 2 Meter FM radio.

Ah, the memories! My first UHF radio was a BBT, my first repeater used a T44 transmitter, and I had a couple of business dispatchers on .52 and .76

jimvm

Motorola HT220 Spectronics special

I bought a HT220 UHF slimline, 2 channel with acc. at Spectronics, Chicago in 1971.
Cost $170.00. It was missing one resistor. Great radio!

jim vm

Status
Not open for further replies.