Motorola antenna and BC296

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradam2001

I have a Motorola 800 antenna, I would like to get the jack for it and mod my scanner.
What kind of jack is it, and where do I get one? It needs to be one to solder in place.
Thanks for the help

bradam2001

Here are some pictures

Here are 2 pictures, hope they help.
I think they are some kind of sma, but I am not sure.
Thanks again

Attachments

• DSC01713.JPG
    DSC01713.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01714.JPG
    DSC01714.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 213

W0JJK

That is a MX connector from a MT800 I am going to say. Looks the sames as HT600, MT1000, analog saber and that series of portables.

W0JJK

OceanaRadio

bradam2001 said:
Here are 2 pictures, hope they help.
I think they are some kind of sma, but I am not sure.
Thanks again

It's not SMA, it's "Motorola", and not adaptable to anything.

Besides being very old, and not made for 800 MHz anyway, it looks like VHF.

Jack

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Like W0JJK said, it's an MX connector. There's no adapter available (AFAIK) that would allow you to use it on a scanner with a BNC connector. Now if the antenna had an SMA connector, that would be a different story.

I suppose if you were real resourceful, you could make some kind of adapter, but it would be much easier to just get an 800MHz antenna that had the proper connector to begin with.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
bradam2001 said:
Can you get a solder in connector to replace the BNC connectror ? If so where sould I get it ?

I won't go so far as to say you can't get the connector to receive that antenna, but I've never seen one.

Trust me, there's no reason to butcher your scanner by attempting to replace the BNC antenna connector with an MX female jack, just so you can use that particular Motorola branded 800 MHz antenna. Like I said, there are (non Motorola brand) 800 MHz antennas out there that already have a BNC connector. Your 800 MHz reception will not suffer, it will be just as good, if not better, than if you used the Motorola branded antenna.

Of course, you're still free to try it if you want, but I wouldn't. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.