Motorola Antenna mount question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Does anyone here know how to mount Motorola 800 band radio antennas on a car? I bought two today at Front Range Radio, each was like 11 bucks a piece. For both the whip and the base. I just have no idea what options are out there to mount them.

cstockmyer

abqscan said:
what type of mount is it?

They both come with the chrome nuts....does that help at all?? I would think from the picture the PFK behind the counter showed me it is the drill kind.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
We'll need a picture...
However, there are usually two ways to mount an antenna: drill a hole in the body someplace (the roof works best, but the trunk works, too), or some type of bracket such as a trunk-lip mount, a mirror mount, or a luggage rack bracket.

cstockmyer

They had to order them, they should be in next week they said. As soon as I get them I'll post a picture. I drive a ford exploder so I thing the trunk mounts are out. The luggage rack might work though...thanks!

I guess if all eles fails I can use the lightning rod known as a Scantenna as a mobile anteanna lol.

Good topic from my perspective, I've got a Pro-96 in my work truck, a Ford F550. Abandoned the antenna for my prior 2067, mounted high on the back window. Would like to mount an antenna on the cab or preferably flatbed, it has a high cab protector/headache rack. By the way, I don't mind seeing this info here, even if it technically could be under another forum. Thanks for the topic...Dave.

Last edited:

cstockmyer

Thank Erik he is the one who told me about the store. Then it dawned on me that I have no idea how to mount them, but I am interested to see the different ways people have mounted them here in Colorado with our snow and all.

The bad part is, now I am out of money, so the mounts might take awhile to get.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Anything that uses an "NMO" or "Motorola-style" mount will work. Go to:

http://www.tessco.com

and browse around to see many of the different options available. The pricing that you will get once you register on the site is lower than what it will be just browsing around - add the things to a worksheet and then press "confirm price" to see what you will actually pay.

Al42

If it's an NMO mount and you're going to mount it to the car body/roof/fender/etc. (not on a bracket), go to a Motorola shop and pay the few bucks they'll charge you to drill the hole. Aside from drilling it, you have to scrape the paint off for about 1/8" all around - not something easy to do without the proper tool. (And, if you're going to mount it on the roof, the guy might snake the wire for you also, for no extra charge.)

cstockmyer

Al42 said:
If it's an NMO mount and you're going to mount it to the car body/roof/fender/etc. (not on a bracket), go to a Motorola shop and pay the few bucks they'll charge you to drill the hole. Aside from drilling it, you have to scrape the paint off for about 1/8" all around - not something easy to do without the proper tool. (And, if you're going to mount it on the roof, the guy might snake the wire for you also, for no extra charge.)

I'm not sure the place where I got it does install work, maybe though. I guess just for me, drilling would be the last option for me. My luck says it would leak like a paper bag not to mention snaking wire sounds not so fun . Anyone know where in Colorado I can go where they install?? Keeping in mind I have not won power ball...

No Extra $$$$$............ he he he

Al42 said:

Sure............ That is the hard part............

Mic.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I have an Expedition with two NMO mounts using trunk lip attatchments on the hood. works great. No holes to drill in the top of the suv and there is a feed hole in the fire wall to bring the coax through. No motor noise at all.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Does anyone here know how to mount Motorola 800 band radio antennas on a car? I bought two today at Front Range Radio, each was like 11 bucks a piece. For both the whip and the base. I just have no idea what options are out there to mount them.

Are they NMO mounts?

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
I'm not sure the place where I got it does install work, maybe though. I guess just for me, drilling would be the last option for me. My luck says it would leak like a paper bag not to mention snaking wire sounds not so fun . Anyone know where in Colorado I can go where they install?? Keeping in mind I have not won power ball...

There are alot of good radio shops locally for installs such as that, they produce very professional work.

Jim<

Here I come to save the day.........

cstockmyer said:

Are you in the Denver metro area?

I installed for over 15 years and I think I can help you..........

Mic.

RISC777

A Little More

cstockmyer said:
They both come with the chrome nuts....does that help at all?? I would think from the picture the PFK behind the counter showed me it is the drill kind.
Some more info for you -

An NMO can and is referred to as a Motorola style mount.
The threaded part of an NMO base / mount is approx. 1 - 1/16" or - 1/8" "wide."
It has two flat edges for holding or grasping when necessary with a wrench.
The threaded part is approx. 3/16" "high."
- Maybe measuring the inside diameter of the threaded portion on the bottom of your antenna(s) will give you an idea. And the chrome probably also has the two flats for tightening onto a base.

As already stated there a number of ways that base can be put onto a vehicle. The best is the roof or the trunk or the top of the cab of a truck due to the amount of body metal.

Alternates are a hood or trunk lip mount. It clamps to the hood or trunk lid while allowing it to close, etc.

You can also get mounts for mirrors (like a side mirror on a semi or pick-up that has round bars that hold the mirror). There are bumper mounts. There are mounts that clip onto the top of of a window in a door.

So, the question(s) for you are, do you put it on the top of the vehicle, or the trunk (or the workbox in the bed of a pick-up), or not? That's one question because those are the ways to get the best out of the antenna(s). Where do I route the cable to where the scanner's going to be? Do I do this myself or not?

There are bits you can buy to drill that also expose the metal, taking away the paint, but sometimes hard to justify the cost for a once or twice used tool. Never try a metal hole saw. :) I've done my trunk and top before slowly and carefully without anything specialized, but one must have time and patience(!).

Mind the fact that the NMO bases are sometimes also rated for the frequency ranges they pass (and do not pass).

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
If you go to the Tessco website, look for the 3/8" (instead of 3/4") NMO mounts. While almost everyone has a 3/8" drill bit, not many have a 3/4" bit. The only "drawback" to the 3/8" mount is that you need to install it from below as opposed to dropping it in from above. The 3/8" NMO mount can also install in a 3/4" hole, so it gives you some flexibility.

cstockmyer

jeffreyinberthoud said:
were is this????

I went to Frontier Radio Communications their address is:
8745 E. Orchard road
Suite 518
Greenwood Village Co 80111

It's just north east of I-25 an Orchard.

cstockmyer

twowayradiomouse said:
Are you in the Denver metro area?

I installed for over 15 years and I think I can help you..........

Mic.

That would be great. But like I said at this point I am tapped in the way of funds to support this obsession...I mean Hobie of mine :lol:.

I am not sure mounting the stubby whip would be good anywhere but the roof, less chance of people walking by and snapping it off I guess. But like I said I am not sure I want to drill a hole in the roof either, mostly becuase I have a feeling it would leak.

Thanks for the ideas all!

Status
Not open for further replies.