• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX 6000Li Caveats/Differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synapt

I'm trying to find a solid detailed documented difference between the APX 6000 and the APX 6000Li's, as motorola doesn't seem to cover it and unfortunately our motorola rep is not even all that sure, and I was hoping someone on here might know. There was one other thread on here back in 2017 talking about it but it didn't really go into super detail about the differences, or even an explicit verification about some of the changes being made.

We are unfortunately being otherwise forced into a new radio system and these new radios, and I'm fairly familiar with the straight 6000 models, which is what we directly ordered from Motorola (as we were not being allocated even remotely enough from our own county services, surprise surprise), however because it was referenced to the mess that is our future county deployment and they were ordering 6000Li's, motorola apparently automatically made all our radios 6000Li's as well.

Now, here is my main concern with this, this new network is supposed to be interoperable with multiple other counties, as such these radios should be able to to support multiple counties talk groups on P25, but the caveat to this is the 'administration' of this multi-network P25 deployment gives each county their own access key, meaning for us to talk on different counties we will need multiple keys, and that's where my main concern is as from what I can tell the 6000Li's are single network/single-key supportive without an expensive hardware (software?) addition tagged on.

Does anyone here by chance have explicit details these days of the differences with the Li models? This entire 'upgrade' by our county has already been a multi-year disaster of bad decisions and silence, so we're largely left to figuring this out on our own and we don't want to discover that our radios aren't going to be county mutual aid incapable at the very last moment.

jruta

Sorry I’m of no help with this, but I had the same question some five years or so ago and not sure I ever got a response either - including from my moto dealer lol.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
In addition to my post in that linked thread, the 6000Li is also not capable of WiFi. This may be an issue if you use WiFi programming or SmartConnect.

Synapt

In addition to my post in that linked thread, the 6000Li is also not capable of WiFi. This may be an issue if you use WiFi programming or SmartConnect.

Are these the only limitations? As I noted I had also seen that there seems to be a single talk/broadcast key limit from what I could find around, which in turn would potentially mean restriction to a single 'network' as our multi-county infrastructure is technically a dedicated key per-county.

That ultimately is the biggest concern of ours (at least past working through the cluster**** our local county administration is making of this entire thing to begin with). As we do a lot of mutual aid, and are already limited on what radios we're being affordably allocated, so it would suck if we had to literally dedicate portables JUST for another county and couldn't have them multi-county.

I tried addressing this with the motorola rep among a couple other things and we haven't heard from them in a week now, so it's fairly concerning to say the least lol.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As I noted I had also seen that there seems to be a single talk/broadcast key limit from what I could find around, which in turn would potentially mean restriction to a single 'network' as our multi-county infrastructure is technically a dedicated key per-county.
If by "single talk/broadcast key limit" you're referring to system keys needed to program trunked systems, then the answer is no. The 6000Li will accept multiple trunked systems, just as long as they are of the same type. In other words, you can have multiple P25 systems OR multiple Type II systems programmed, but you cannot mix the two types in an Li codeplug.

If you're talking about encryption keys, then the radios would need H869 Multikey in the FLASH to support more than one key.

Last edited:

Synapt

If by "single talk/broadcast key limit" you're referring to system keys needed to program trunked systems, then the answer is no. The 6000Li will accept multiple trunked systems, just as long as they are of the same type. In other words, you can have multiple P25 systems OR multiple Type II systems programmed, but you cannot mix the two types in an Li codeplug.

If you're talking about encryption keys, then the radios would need H869 Multikey in the FLASH to support more than one key.

Hm, okay that /may/ be okay, though details of our network are a disaster right now (we're supposed to be going on a joint multi-county network, apparently our county told motorola though we would be standalone). Encryption keys though I have no idea on currently, if we follow pattern to the other counties than we shouldn't even have to worry about encryption keys, hopefully.

Thanks for you reply, you at least lifted some of my concerns for the time being. Shame our county put shifty deals ahead of public safety ultimately :/

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I would suggest that you find someone there who actually knows what they are talking about, rather than relying on a hobbyist website for info and advice. Get everything in writing so that you have something to show if things go wrong.

Synapt

I would suggest that you find someone there who actually knows what they are talking about, rather than relying on a hobbyist website for info and advice. Get everything in writing so that you have something to show if things go wrong.

You may wish to spot where I said we're literally talking with a motorola rep, who unfortunately did not provide us any specific answers lol. I mean I'm a tech guy, so I'm able to figure stuff out easily enough, but motorola has like 0 public documentation or spec data for the differences, and our county 911 administration is failing hard on this entire thing.

Pretty much that's the only reason I reached out to a public medium like this, I figured maybe at minimum there would be other motorola reps on here who might have an answer, or at least give me something more I can reference to our motorola rep to get them guided in the right direction.

Like I said this entire thing is a cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.