• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX 8000 Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
While listening to a P25 trunked channel there is a difference in audio levels from one side to the other.Dispatcher is always much louder then the portable unit..It drives me crazy.Is there a some sort of setting in the programming software to make both sides of the conversation the same audio level?
Thanks

K2NEC

I was also wondering about this. I like how my XPR's have RX Audio Leveling but the APX doesn't have that lol
I would love to hear dispatch and units with the same audio

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have same experience monitoring my local PD. The audio is inconsistent and difficult to listen to. It must be a problem with the various subscribers. Motorola should pay attention to the details on this.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
It’s really dependent on the way the subscriber units were set up, and how the console/mobiles were set up. The above comment is also a major factor. Some love to “eat” their microphone.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Its probably both.
Most systems i monitor are leveled out pretty well. But theres a Harris system with several channels that are set up poorly.
EMS dispatch channel where the console is very hot. Tones are over modulated and the dispatcher is loud.
Another has an automated system that is way over modulated, then when users talk its nice and normal across the board.

Over time its easy to figure these out. When you have 3 different dispatchers using the same console and they are all way to loud its not a user being loud its the console.

mbnv992

I’m pretty sure that’s standard everywhere as far as the volume of the dispatchers usually always being louder than the officer out in the field.

As was said - most common issue is the officers leaving the mic on the hangup clip in the cruiser.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
What portable radios can I get that have the audio leveling..I have been looking at the BK KNG2..Would that radio have the audio leveling..Thanks

Tech21

Not really, you can try messing around in radio profiles and see if that helps. Make sure the audio is set to enhanced under Radio Wide >>Audio Options >> Audio Config Level >> Enhanced.

Just like every other low audio complaint: Who knows how the officer uses the mic. Are they using lapel mics? Does the officer key up the mic and just leave it in the mic clip and then talk? When was the last time the field units had a basic PM done on them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.