• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX 8000 External Antenna Adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMike

Need to attach an external antenna to a Motorola APX 8000 portable. What type of connector is needed between the radio and the coax? SMF? The radio will be used indoors for a temporary gateway, need to run an external antenna outside for range and desensing. Mobile radio not an option.

Thanks everyone.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It is SMA/F but Motorola uses the flush mount kind that don't have the threading go beyond the insulator and center conductor. I've been trying to find a naming distinction but haven't had much luck. Either way, we use these adapters in our shop but this one is another option.

MetroMike

Thanks everyone. Yeah, found them online. Had a devil of a time trying to find them; thought they were SMA but that whole flush mount made it harder than it should have been. Once I started searching "SMA Motorola" (duh) I started to find some versus peering at tiny pictures on line trying to see if the mount was flush or not. It's been a very long time since I've had to rig and string coax.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I wish everyone made that type. Sometimes the threading extends so far past the insulation, the pin never inserts into the hole.

It's only 27 dB of attenuation when that happens…is it sad I've measured?

American spec versus "Chinese" spec SMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hitechRadio

Use a regular SMA and file it flat!

Someone will complain on my comment...sooo let me add.

That is if you can not find the Motorola SMA...

Status
Not open for further replies.