• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX build quality question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SN7

I was wondering if those with experience have noticed a difference In quality of build from USA, Mexico and Malaysia radios?

Is a given manufacture location more desirable than another? Or given that the parts are high quality it does not matter?

I have searched and not seen this discussed. I am just a tech fan and amateur radio enthusiast.

Thank you very much for your time and any feedback.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Not a real difference. FWIW, an agency on our system bought APX6000's back in 2013. Around a 1/4th of them suffer a defective volume pot issue. All of these radios were "ASSEMBLED IN USA".
If you're planning on buying a used APX, always BUY THE SELLER not the radio. Those who have a good reputation will stand behind their product.

PACNWDude

+1 on buying the seller when it comes to used Motorola equipment. Many re-sellers will ignore the volume/on/off switch/pot when selling used Motorola radios. this includes APX and XPR series radios.

However, back to the original question, I did notice some quality issues initially once manufacturing went to Mexico, for a couple of years. And the best Motorola equipment seemed to be made in Israel at that time. I had many MW300 mobile data terminals and Consolettes that were Israeli made.

Now, I have not noticed any difference between Mexico, United States, Malaysia, or Israel in the current offerings. Motorola as a company has tried to keep the quality consistent, and appears to do so from what I have ordered over the past twenty-five years.

mbnv992

Speaking of I am seeing quite a few APX8000’s on brokenstolenradios.com that have no tags yet claim to be NOT accelerated life tested radios. One was an 8000XE that looked brand new plastics still on the screens for $3999. No tags. Seemed fishy to me. That specific seller also sells other APX radios as well ( both with and with tags ). His feedback was 100% though so who knows.

mbnv992

All I know is any radios I’ve ever bought were back in my Batlabs days from both MTS2000DES above ( bought many MTS radios including a super mint MT2000 that was made in Schaumburg with tags and all ), and Jim ( N7MAQ ).

N4KVE

Speaking of I am seeing quite a few APX8000’s on brokenstolenradios.com that have no tags yet claim to be NOT accelerated life tested radios. One was an 8000XE that looked brand new plastics still on the screens for $3999. No tags. Seemed fishy to me. That specific seller also sells other APX radios as well ( both with and with tags ). His feedback was 100% though so who knows.
Radios don’t have tags until they are sold to a customer, & leave the US factory. A few years ago at Apco, I was at the Moto display, & pulled every battery from every APX radio. None had tags. Were they all ALT radios? Hardly. I keep hearing the rumor of brand new APX radios going out the back door of the plant in Malaysia. Since they never got to the States, they never got tags. Who knows where all these radios came from?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thanks for the replies guys. Buying the seller makes a lot of sense.

Buy smart, ask questions before buying the radio from any person in town or on the Internet especially eBay store owners who think they are legit and they are not. Take my word if you wish I bought a lot of Motorola radios from legit sellers and some are not. I remember buying a non commercial radio I bought a Icom MK2 mobile radio from a guy who had great feedback at the time when I bought the radio from him he did tell me the radio was used in excellent condition but he never did tell me the radio was modded galore and the wiring/wires was cut open. Yes, I filed a Paypal dispute about the radio he replied with "I thought I wasn't suppose to say everything is wrong with the radio or the accessories". Paypal quickly decided in my favor and the seller never wanted the radio back.

Yes, It is hard to find a legit eBay or store owner who will stand behind they're product they are either selling and representing.

Status
Not open for further replies.