• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX CPS 23.-- with APX7500 not communicating

Status
Not open for further replies.

109heavystatic

Premium Subscriber
Had absolutely no issues until yesterday, when out of nowhere, CPS will not communicate with my 7500. Historically, I plug in the programming cable to the APX and Windows asks if I should connect to the network, I accept, and all is fine.

Yesterday it stopped working all together. I reinstalled CPS and downloaded the proper drivers. Drivers are there. The issue now is that Windows thinks the APX is an internet device, disconnects me from my internet connection (cellular or wifi), then defaults to "Ethernet 6", which shows "not connected".

While the radio is connected to the computer, I cannot access the internet or read/write the radio. The network connection that the APX is on is disabled, and Windows won't let me enable it.

Yes, I have uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted, disabled, enabled, you name it. I cannot get this resolved.

Attachments

• IMG_6007.jpg
    IMG_6007.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 30

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
If it ask to connect to network (the radio) - connect. I once upon a time ago had the same problem to where nothing would read and I eventually had to uninstall everything and reinstall. A major pain in the rear.

One of the gods of Motorola might be able to give you a better answer, but that is what worked for me. Usually it only ask about the network once and after that the radio reads and writes fine with the internet working. Just save your codeplugs to a flash drive if you have to. Not ideal but it beats losing everything.

What computer are you using and the windows version?

109heavystatic

Premium Subscriber
It doesnt always ask to to connect to the network, but when it does, I connect it. Even then, the computer thinks its connecting to the internet. Why did Moto choose to use Ethernet over USB?

I am using a Panasonic CF-53 with Windows 10.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber

This might help you out. A little dated but the logic still applies.

K2NEC

Along the lines of what @nhfdcadet said, what changed with your computer in the last 24/48 hours? (If anything)

109heavystatic

Premium Subscriber

This might help you out. A little dated but the logic still applies.

I tried following this but the issue is with my network adapter settings. It constantly wants to turn the connection to the APX off.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Try disabling the WiFi/Cellular connection and see if that helps. Sometimes they compete for the computer's attention, especially if Windows thinks that one can't operate correctly without the other being disabled.

Also just to point out, that popup that appears on the blue pane from the right side of the screen when you connect the APX...that is not asking if you want to connect, it's asking you if you want to make the connection private. By default it's a public connection, and thus restricted as to what can be shared across the network. You can click No on that popup or simply ignore it and let it disappear, and the radio will still connect just fine.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
If anyone would know it would be GTR8000. He’s cured more of my problems than he knows.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I appreciate the vote of confidence lol, but Windows is a PIA when it comes to stuff like this. I've seen some weird stuff with APX and TRBO CPS. Oh and MSI themselves have hosed up some versions of CPS, one fairly recently that removed the network drivers, making the PC think that the APX was connected via a USB COM port, instead of the Ethernet adapter. 🤦‍♂️

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They stripped down the help files in R24, all plain text now. Finally no more ridiculously bloated 1.5 GB installer.

The NET driver has not been updated, still the 6.1.7069.1 version from Feb 2020

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Just had a similar problem trying to program an APX900. CPS said it couldn't find a radio connected to a USB port. Radio was being detected and installed as a serial device. The fix for me was to download and install the latest APX Tuner. That seemed to straighten out the USB issue. And, yes, problem cropped up after a Win10 update.

ExpatLMRGuy

Land Mobile Radio Technician III
Does this only affect the APX 7500 or is it affecting the portables as well?

Not sure if this has been addressed, but it definitely has to do with the .NET framework. If you've recently updated windows or installed a different application which may've installed a newer version of the .net framework.

The solution for myself involved installing a driver for a iButton (blue usb dongle) which came with the correct .net framework.

I cannot attach the .zip file to this post, however if you would like me to shoot it your way, send me a PM with your email and I'll get it to you right away.

Since the driver installation, I've had no issues with programming in the CPS 23 version.

drsparky

If it is a laptop disable the internet by putting your computer in Airplane Mode then it should see your radio. Some laptops also have a small physical switch to shut off the Wi-Fi. This problem shows up on USB SS ports (USB 3.0), the the old slow USB 2.0 seemed to work fine, so if you have both types on your computer avoid using the USB SS.
The CPS R23.00.001 read me file has a lot of information on this and workarounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.