• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX series as receive only

TDR-94

The XL series uses the newer RPM2 programming software and I am not familiar with it or how it works. The older XG portables use the older RPM14. The XG can do phase 2 if it's been flashed.

I am no Harris expert and I'm sure others can add much more than I.
Certain XG models are also supported by RPM2.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
RPM2 is very similar to RPM but is tab based. Its navigation is organized around tabs and clickable items. Click on an item to open its list or functions. If you're familiar with RPM, you'll adapt to RPM2 very quickly. Nothing to worry about there.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I appreciate all the suggestions, however as I stated in previous post, I really like the Motorola APX. I also know it's very technical and very complex. I still have a lot of research to do before I actually "pull the trigger " . If anyone can point me in the direction as far as Motorola APX (NAS) radio reference post or YouTube video, it would GREATLY be appreciated!
Are you looking for form or functionality? When you say you like the APX to me it seems like your making your decision on its looks and not how functional it is for your needs.

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at the APX for its durability, functionality, reliability, the great name of Motorola and its history of being a great all around radio, and yes of course the anesthetics, it is a beautiful looking instrument. I've dealt with Motorola in the past and loved it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Let's be real: it's all about cosplay and CopSounds™ and FireSounds™.

A modern scanner like a Uniden SDS100/200, even a Home Patrol 2 will allow one to hear "way more frequencies", and all digital modes including DMR, P25 and NXDN, find new systems. No costly software, system keys, hacking/whacking needed to program.

The desire to use MSI gear for "anesthetics"? Is this a medical cure for whackerism?

N1SQB

Get yourself a unication pager. It's cheaper than any APX, and the software is much cheaper than Harris. Plus there's no question of the legality of scanning with it.
I agree, but like in our case here in CT, you have to set it up (G5) carefully so that you can have all the CLMRN TGs. The G4/5 only accept or is limited to 64 TGs per system. I set mine up so that I can get full coverage of all the areas/zones I normally travel. But I love those pagers. Reception is great!

Manny

N1SQB

Let's be real: it's all about cosplay and CopSounds™ and FireSounds™.

A modern scanner like a Uniden SDS100/200, even a Home Patrol 2 will allow one to hear "way more frequencies", and all digital modes including DMR, P25 and NXDN, find new systems. No costly software, system keys, hacking/whacking needed to program.

The desire to use MSI gear for "anesthetics"? Is this a medical cure for whackerism?
I don't think its necessarily whackerism. I have been scanning since the early 80s. I love scanning and Ham stuff. However, once I heard the Motorola Astro Saber 3 audio and held one in my hand, I was hooked. I have owned several scanners as well as Moto radios since that time up to my current APX8000XE. I love the audio clarity, the build quality of the radio, selectivity, sensitivity, etc...Professional gear sounds, performs and holds up better than scanners. I do agree that there is a small portion of the population that do behave as whackers, but overall, I think people just love commercial radios.

Manny

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
Lmao, As I said in my very First post, I knew there was going to be ridicule and criticism. And if you read the first post , I already own a SDS100 . Don't get me wrong.It is a great unit(SDS100) , but there's nothing like owning a Motorola.As I said The motorola is a great rugged radio has a great reputation and it's just an all around great device that I would like to own. Quite frankly I think it's the best.

N1SQB

Thank you Manny
You're welcome. Do not let other people's negative opinion affect you. When you put yourself out there on topics like this, it's gonna attract some crazy or not so friendly comments. Just do you...There are plenty of /\/\oto groups on Facebook as well. Look into them..

Manny

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I'm doing the research now. Fascinating stuff, There is so much to learn on this , I am Learning quite a bit now , as far as flash code.Yes flashcode is very important. i.e. Single band , dual band , tri band and quadband. Yes, very involved stuff to learn.

Asunakiyori

Lurker
Yes, I'm doing the research now. Fascinating stuff, There is so much to learn on this , I am Learning quite a bit now , as far as flash code.Yes flashcode is very important. i.e. Single band , dual band , tri band and quadband. Yes, very involved stuff to learn.
most 7000 are dual, 6000s are single and most 8000 will be coded for all bands. I personally havent seen any FC's with single or dual band 8000s but its possible

K2NEC

I personally havent seen any FC's with single or dual band 8000s but its possible
You won't find any 8000's that are single band because other single band options (including the APX6000) exist. As per dual bands, on Fleabay you probably won't see it, but out in the public safety world they are pretty common.

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber
I agree, but like in our case here in CT, you have to set it up (G5) carefully so that you can have all the CLMRN TGs. The G4/5 only accept or is limited to 64 TGs per system. I set mine up so that I can get full coverage of all the areas/zones I normally travel. But I love those pagers. Reception is great!

Manny
You have to set it up so you can have all the talkgroup names, and you can have 64 talkgroup names per system. You can easily scan every talkgroup though.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Take it from me....the Motorola of today is not quite the Motorola of the days of the Astro Saber. In fact...it's quite a step down from there.

If I have chosen today's Harris XL platform over the APX platform based experiences with a now 25+ year old radio platform, you really should sit up and take notice. You're letting your fanboyism override your rational judgement.