• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX Vehicular Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Anybody out there using the APX series vehicular adapter? It appears as though it is not capable of controlling the radio power on/off state via the vehicle ignition switch (i.e. the radio powers off when the vehicle is turned off). I never used one, but I was told this was a capability with the vehicular adapters in the XTS series. Anybody know if there is a way for this to happen in the APX version?

I don't know how it worked in the XTS series. But, it would seem to me that if you locked the radio into the adapter cradle with the power know in the on position that it should be possible to have the adapter override the knob and control the power to match the ignition switch position.

It's disappointing if this feature was removed in the transition from XTS to APX. I hope someone out there has some possible feedback.

ME801

I don't remember what the XTS XTVA had that power on of capability, is been five or so years.
My APX XTVA does not, but I have it wired to a cigarette lighter plug do I can move it between vehicles.

ResQguy

Meh
There has never been a Motorola vehicular adapter that controlled the power state of the portable radio, going all the way back to the MT500. Not the MX, STX, Saber, Astro Saber, Jedi, or XTS. Nope.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Oh, okay then. I was just the other day by a radio shop tech that the XTS line had that capability.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Oh, okay then. I was *told* just the other day by a radio shop tech that the XTS line had that capability. I've never used the portable vehicular adapters. We're getting them at work.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
Wire Color Connect to
Red Vehicle battery (+)
Black Vehicle Chassis (GND)
Yellow Fuse box (see below for details)

The yellow wire controls whether or not the APX VA radio battery charger will be “live” at all times.
Consider the functionality and vehicle battery drain current below during installation.

Standard Wiring to Vehicle Switched A+ – Charging OFF with Vehicle OFF
For installations where the radio may be left in the APX VA with the vehicle’s ignition switched
OFF and minimal vehicle battery drain current is important, the standard wiring connection of the
yellow wire to vehicle switched A+ will disable charging.

Optional Wiring to Vehicle A+ – Charging ON with Vehicle OFF
When the radio is left in the APX VA for charging with the vehicle’s ignition switched OFF, the
optional wiring connection of the yellow wire to always-live vehicle (A+) will keep the charger ON.

When the operator takes the radio from the APX VA, low vehicle battery drain current will occur.
See (*) below.
Condition
Standard Wiring Optional Wiring
Vehicle = ON Vehicle = OFF* Vehicle = ON or OFF
Battery Charging Yes No Yes
Vehicle Battery Drain
Radio OUT 20 mA 2.5 mA 20 mA
Radio IN but OFF 30 – 900 mA 11 mA 30 – 900 mA
Radio In and ON** 125 – 2000 mA 30 – 1000 mA 125 – 2000 mA

Last edited:

ME801

Oh, okay then. I was just the other day by a radio shop tech that the XTS line had that capability.

Got my curiosity up, dug our an old XTS convertacom (that's what we called them back in the day), borrowed a 5000 from a friend and can confirm the XTS series convertacom does not control the radio power on/off by ignition sense.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Got my curiosity up, dug our an old XTS convertacom (that's what we called them back in the day), borrowed a 5000 from a friend and can confirm the XTS series convertacom does not control the radio power on/off by ignition sense.

Cool. Appreciate the check. I was curious about this capability and when I asked, they told me they knew noting about the APX cradles since they hadn't installed very many, but that the old XTS line could do it. I was looking at it from the perspective of having personnel used to mobile radios automatically booting up now having their radios off by default if the vehicle adapter didn't override the portable. Looks like we'll have to do some retraining and get folks to turn them on and off manually. Sigh. You get what you get...yadda yadda.

Frankly, I'm surprised this would not be something that could be possible. You leave the portable knob turned on and then the cradle controls the power when it is locked in place. I can't be the only one who sees the benefits of this. Damn you Motorola....

brndnstffrd

In the past I had considered gutting and modifying a dead battery or using one of the battery eliminator "batteries" that has terminals on the case to use on a radio to just pass power direct to the radio with no battery functionality, then the radios on/off function would be dictated by the Convertacom. Time/lack of interest and the lack of a real need got in the way of the project and I never got around to it.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
In the past I had considered gutting and modifying a dead battery or using one of the battery eliminator "batteries" that has terminals on the case to use on a radio to just pass power direct to the radio with no battery functionality, then the radios on/off function would be dictated by the Convertacom. Time/lack of interest and the lack of a real need got in the way of the project and I never got around to it.

Just killing power to the radio itself can create issues with busy multi-site trunking systems. That's why there is a minor delay for power off when the radio is shutdown manually or via ignition sense (if equipped)...going through de-registration with the system.

brndnstffrd

Just killing power to the radio itself can create issues with busy multi-site trunking systems. That's why there is a minor delay for power off when the radio is shutdown manually or via ignition sense (if equipped)...going through de-registration with the system.
That is a valid point, but in this specific setup would not be an issue. It is a good point to add though for others reading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.