• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jobro3082

Hello all,

I just stumbled into this place so I am hopeful someone can help me out. we have a Motorola APX6000xe portable radio that had a hook up at the mic connection with two audio cables running off of it. I stumbled in to this radio gig that system was in place already but apparently it was broadcasting to a secure (or as secure as anything is) stream for our people that reside out of coverage area. Needless to say it quit streaming just gives me an error and our I.T. department is looking at me like it's your radio fix it... Any help is appreciated

APX6000XE ported to what seemed to be an audio input box that was connected to an ether cable and ran thru our servers.... Thanks in advance

Joe

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
We will need a lot more information unfortunately... Is there any identifying name/numbers etc on the box that would help with troubleshooting? Or can you snap a pic of it?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
To add to the above post first thing I would do is insure the APX itself is still receiving what you want to receive.

jobro3082

So can confirm the radio is still receiving... I will work on the input info and post when I get a picture

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This isn't always easy to do with IT, but you need to determine your demarc. If audio is exiting the radio, then who "owns" the Barix.

jobro3082

This isn't always easy to do with IT, but you need to determine your demarc. If audio is exiting the radio, then who "owns" the Barix.

We own it as in the city does ( not sure I am 100% following but google works for me) the only interfacing issues would be when the stream hits the streaming app.. All appliances being used are owned by the city/FD... Hopefully I communicated that correctly. So essentially if I am talking into the mic and its not coming out of the stream and I am getting an error message on the stream channel then maybe a interface issue?

cpg178

In the middle photo it shows a L and R audio jack, are those your inputs, or is the audio from the APX entering via the USB connection?

cpg178

In the middle photo it shows a L and R audio jack, are those your inputs, or is the audio from the APX entering via the USB connection?
I just googled the device, those are indeed the audio input jacks. Were these jacks empty when you found this issue? Or did you unplug them to take the photos?

jobro3082

So the radio has an attachment where the mic cord attaches and there are two audio jacks. Yes they were connected the radio was removed since it kept getting an error on the app and nobody seemed to know how to fix it which is why I am here.. For guidance

Attachments

• stream.jpg
    stream.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 51

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Since you have confirmed the APX itself is working I'd try to contact Barix and get support form them.

wgbecks

Unless the Instreamer hardware has failed, then your issue is more likely network related. The Instreamer would need a network address
that is accessible form the public Internet that would involve your IT department to setup a LAN IP for the streaming device and then to provision access rules in the router to securely bridge the device with the public Internet.

It is possible the device was moved from its original location (network segment) and plugged into the city network in another building or
VLAN segment? You're IT department most assuredly needs to get involved.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
I use Barix Streamers also. (They stream to Broadcastify)

Make sure the destination IP is correct. IT should be able to ping your IP. If not, network issue. Start there.

a417

Thanks for the information and the topic has been escalated apparently I hit a button (not literally).
If it's not your hardware, it's someone elses responsibility to fix it. The right thing to do is go up the line until you authoritatively find out who's job it is to do so. I know it seems like you're wanting to help, but can't when you 'fall into those things'... but most often that becomes a futile effort with more roadblocks than successes. Think about defending this statement in front of the town manager with your union rep present; "The guys on the internet, that I sent a picture of our hardware to, said to do this...". Does. Not. End. Well.

Best thing you can do is politely inquire about the problem/solution to the people who fixed it, and see if you can socially engineer yourself into becoming more than "just an end user" to them. Granted they will not open up the hallowed gates because you asked what was wrong, but with time you might fall into favor with them and get 'officially' indoctrinated by them into learning the how/why their system is set up. This could lead you into a position like an official first point of contact within your agency, that then goes to them. Who knows? The possiblities are endless.

Let us know what they did, inquiring minds want to know! (y)

Last edited:

jobro3082

If it's not your hardware, it's someone elses responsibility to fix it. The right thing to do is go up the line until you authoritatively find out who's job it is to do so. I know it seems like you're wanting to help, but can't when you 'fall into those things'... but most often that becomes a futile effort with more roadblocks than successes. Think about defending this statement in front of the town manager with your union rep present; "The guys on the internet, that I sent a picture of our hardware to, said to do this...". Does. Not. End. Well.

Best thing you can do is politely inquire about the problem/solution to the people who fixed it, and see if you can socially engineer yourself into becoming more than "just an end user" to them. Granted they will not open up the hallowed gates because you asked what was wrong, but with time you might fall into favor with them and get 'officially' indoctrinated by them into learning the how/why their system is set up. This could lead you into a position like an official first point of contact within your agency, that then goes to them. Who knows? The possiblities are endless.

Let us know what they did, inquiring minds want to know! (y)

Super delayed response but it was an IT issue they updated something the firewall blocked something else and one Chief to a director later it’s now up and running! Getting ready to post a second question!

Status
Not open for further replies.