• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX6000XE Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakes_Region_Comms

I’m only 14
Hello, I am Transistioning from a XTS2500i to a APX6000XE and was wondering what the major differences are?
I am on a VHF Analog system as well as P25 systems, In the flashcode I see QA00580 Enable TDMA Operation, Does this item affect regular P25 RX and TX? Or is it just for trunking?

I am buying it from a Authorized Moto dealer too.
I know somebody is going to say "WhY DoNt YoU JuSt AsK tHe moTo DeALEr!?!?!?" well, his phone guy is very, well, I guess out there!

Anyways, what are some good RSM's? right now Im looking at a XE500, what would be the difference between this and a XP mic?
I will be primarily using the radio on the highway as I work anywhere from 10-20 MVA's a month and 0-5 Multi-Alarm Fires every 6 months, and the regular medical calls in a rural environment, It will be in a Radio Strap most of its life.

Would a large battery be a little better than the standard battery? I do a moderate amount of transmitting.

Would I need a larger antenna? or could I get away with a short antenna? coverage is Half Decent for I-93, Primary frequency is 159.900 PL 210.7 Simplex.
I am authorized to transmit on that frequency as well as multiple others, I am a Volunteer FF (I prefer not to list my Dept. name)

jruta

Seeing as it’ll be in a FF strap and you say you do a fair amount of transmitting, i would go for a larger battery, as it won’t be hanging off your belt. As for antennas, in your case I would not use a shortie, mine came with a wide-band vhf (also bought mine from a dealer) I switched it to a stubby but I’m not in fires)
RSMs I can’t help with, I don’t use them

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I run the standard VHF antenna as well as standard battery. I have not been on a call yet where the standard battery went dead. I guess if im on scene for 2 days that may be an issue but YMMV.

I run the NMN6274 speaker mic. Its a bit cheaper than the XE500 and work very well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.