• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX7000 or Harris Unity XG-100P

Which radio do you like the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PACNWDude

Harris Unity for analog mode mostly.

I have to admit, In my case I use a Harris Unity radio to be interoperable for VHF,UHF and 800 MHz bands. However, these are often used in analog only mode.

My biggest complaint is that this radio does not do AM. Often times, I need to contact aircraft in AM mode and then a command post on UHF, or ground crew on VHF, with Coast Guard on 800MHz.
Then there is the durability factor. I do not baby my radios, and my Harris Unity does not seem as durable as my APX. If the Harris did not have a metal belt clip, I would probably carry the APX instead.

It is nice to have three bands in the radio, and I have used the GPS as well. This is where it does better than the APX7000 for me. When my company was debating new radios, they were replacing Motorola equipment. So the logic was to buy new Motorola equipment. We have ended up going MotoTrbo, with a few people like myself, buying Harris radios for our personal use.

We use a lot of Telex, Gai-Tronics and other interface gear to patch between bands, so multi-band was not important.

Personnel in the field just want a dual band VHF/UHF handheld so they are not carrying two radios, or needing a patch between the two. But at $4-6 to get that from Motorola, the patch gear is actually cheaper.

I know of several companies in the oil and gas industry that would gladly buy thousands of VHF/UHF Motorola radios, if they were IS FM rated, and priced in the $2-3 range. That price point can be justified a lot easier than $4-6.

gesucks

Thunderknight,
Sorry for questioning you, but you know how some of these online threads can get.
The radios are running XGPRO1A38, RPM is current. Programmed as you suggested....button just gives a beep. Perhaps there is a bug in this firmware version that will be corrected the next time around? Also this firmware does not do Type 99 decode. The scan has bugs where it locks up scanning that Harris knows about and is currently working on a fix.

XGPRO1A38 was beta firmware. Try with the current XGPRO2A14

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Thunderknight,
Sorry for questioning you, but you know how some of these online threads can get.
The radios are running XGPRO1A38, RPM is current. Programmed as you suggested....button just gives a beep. Perhaps there is a bug in this firmware version that will be corrected the next time around? Also this firmware does not do Type 99 decode. The scan has bugs where it locks up scanning that Harris knows about and is currently working on a fix.

I tested it on a 1a38 radio today and it worked there for me. Something I thought of but didn't have time to test. Under scan options in rpm, what is your scan list set for? Ours is set for user programmable. Is yours set for fixed? Maybe that negates nuisance delete?

I didnt want to vote on my own poll. But if I were to choose a radio I would choose the Motorola APX7000. I would choose it because it has exceptional audio. It can do pre P25 systems and current P25 systems including phase 2. I dont really dont need that many channels in a radio like the Harris. I really only need 2 bands anyway. My two bands are UHFR1/700/800MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.