• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The 7000 is dual band. The 8000 will be VHF/UHF(all of it)/700/800 all in one. Competitors have had all-band radios but this will be the big M's first.

Stealthguy05

The San Jose Fire Department seems to have a resolution on buying these. Not only do they mention multi-band radios, but they are going to be getting rid of 373 of their only 2 year old APX series which are "Obsolete".
From page 3 of this link http://sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/38141

"If approved, the San Jose Fire Department will be able to replace 270 APX7000XE Digital
Portable Radios and 103 APX7500 Dual Band High Power Radios, which are now obsolete. In
addition, the City would purchase newer technology radios on behalf of Mountain View, Gilroy
and Santa Clara County. The radios to be purchased will enable interoperab!e communications
with other regional and state first responders, and will be compatible with the SVRIA regional
communication system."

Adds more fuel to the fire that people belive the only way to be truly interoperable is to have Motorola P25 radios.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
This was over on the P25.ca site....

attachment.php

SCPD

QRT
The San Jose Fire Department seems to have a resolution on buying these. Not only do they mention multi-band radios, but they are going to be getting rid of 373 of their only 2 year old APX series which are "Obsolete".
From page 3 of this link http://sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/38141

"If approved, the San Jose Fire Department will be able to replace 270 APX7000XE Digital
Portable Radios and 103 APX7500 Dual Band High Power Radios, which are now obsolete. In
addition, the City would purchase newer technology radios on behalf of Mountain View, Gilroy
and Santa Clara County. The radios to be purchased will enable interoperab!e communications
with other regional and state first responders, and will be compatible with the SVRIA regional
communication system."

Adds more fuel to the fire that people belive the only way to be truly interoperable is to have Motorola P25 radios.

My question is what happens to the "obsolete" radios?. If they wipe them and auction them off would help offset the cost not by much of the new ones. Hopefully they will do that rather than destroying them, a terrible waste of money..

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I'd imagine a mobile will follow soon (obviously just speculation). At least for the time being, two 7500s can be tied together with one O7 control head.

I'll probably be able to afford one once they've been out of production for several years!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'll probably be able to afford one once they've been out of production for several years!

The joke going around is that since an APX6000 can be bought for around $6K and an APX7000 can be bought for around $7K then the APX8000 will be able to be purchased for around $80,000 :lol:;)

The local Motorola Dealer here in NC has scheduled a "Product Symposium" next Tuesday to show off the APX8K. I have too much work currently at my radio shop to be able to attend.

Would be cool down the road to add an 8K to my already growing APX Family:
FTq99qb.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hey your link says "the page you are looking for can not be found" :-/ Just FYI

Looks like the page was made public too early and someone at Moto ended up
hiding it.

I should have grabbed the specs pdf before it was pulled down.

Marshall KE4ZNR

PACNWDude

Too little too late, I have been using Harris Unity XG-100P's for three years now. Motorola would have won the contract hands down due to history if this had been out earlier.

That joke on the pricing is so true. 20+ years ago a Motorola instructor told me that the pricing does sometimes follow the model number, for the sake of the sales people. HT750, MT1000, and so on were priced with accessories and charger and a spare battery at about the amount of the model number. Not an exact way to think of it, but close enough.

Like previous posters have said, I'll buy after the first few waves are in the field. Work the bugs out a bit.

I'm going to miss IWCE this year though, somebody post a lot of pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.