• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Yep, the joke worked for the Astro 25 radios as well! One of our senior techs got to see the prototype a few months ago but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we get a demo unit or one of our customers purchase some. I'll at least get to see one then!

ETA: Thanks for catching the PDF!

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for pdf. Very nice. Like mentioned before it would been nice if they dropped this 3 years ago.

SCPD

QRT
This radio looks awesome with covering V/U/700/800MHz bands. I really want one (drooling) but will have to wait until I win the lottery first. Carrying one radio instead of 3 would be so convenient but the cost mentioned in other posts will be very pricey. I wonder how agencies can afford purchasing these new radios, with dried up government grants and cities that are nearly broke. But anyway it's a sweet radio.

SCPD

QRT
This radio looks awesome with covering V/U/700/800MHz bands. I really want one (drooling) but will have to wait until I win the lottery first. Carrying one radio instead of 3 would be so convenient but the cost mentioned in other posts will be very pricey. I wonder how agencies can afford purchasing these new radios, with dried up government grants and cities that are nearly broke. But anyway it's a sweet radio.

Easy. Raise your water bill, state tax, etc :) lol

DisasterGuy

The automatic WiFi firmware/codeplug update is a great idea for sure. With that said, if pricing will be anywhere near 7 or 8k, I see it as a tough sell indeed when the XG-100p goes for around $5500

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Motorola to release the APX8000 all band portable

Motorola hasn't made an official announcement, but we've received word that the APX8000 portable series is soon to be officially announced.

Featuring VHF/UHF and 700/800 MHz capabilities, it will be well positioned for key emergency management teams and consumers who need this level of interoperability. And of course the occasional hobbyist who must have the latest and greatest professional portable.

It also features Wifi connectivity for programming and Bluetooth connectivity for audio connections.

Link to the data sheet for this new portable can be found here:

http://qsl.net/ke4znr/APX8000/APX8000-All-Band-Datasheet.pdf

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-03-17 18.57.25.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-03-17 18.57.25.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,850

SCPD

QRT
It isn't the first to have flash or firmware updatable via Bluetooth. It's a good idea and worth the cost for that option. The sale price everyone is guessing unless some knows officially. I'm sure that's a guess fully loaded with flash options. I'd like to see a larger screen. They are probably testing the water with it and if it looks good maybe we will see a 9000 with the larger apx 7000 screen? I know some did complain of the large screen in public safety. Maybe why they chose to to go the 6500 screen.

SCPD

QRT
Yard sale

...I'll probably be able to afford one once they've been out of production for several years!

Funny thing is, when I started reading about this radio, I started thinking "If I sold every handheld I have now that this radio could replace, I wonder if I could swing buying one of these?".

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
By chance, would it happen to have a JTAG Port? After all diagnostics, testing and verification of specs is very important for my, uhm, er, radio shop...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Too little too late, I have been using Harris Unity XG-100P's for three years now. Motorola would have won the contract hands down due to history if this had been out earlier.

They will sell a lot of them around here. Harris, despite all their clamoring every time someone else gets a contract, never bothers to even respond to an RFP.

I know of several system admins who asked for a demo of an XG and the only thing the Harris rep brought by was a keychain mockup. Seriously. Maybe Harris has customers beating down their doors, but they have only a couple of systems in North Georgia, Motorola OTOH, has a few DOZEN.

The APX8000 is much smaller than an XG, and being that it is built upon the APX6000, which are replacing XTS radios, are familiar to users.

At least Motorola will bring demos out for prospective customers. It is no wonder why they are the ones who get the contract.

I personally like the form factor of my APX6000. I am glad to see that the 8000 has a 1 watt speaker, something the 6000 should have had, especially since it has only one (unlike the 7000). Adding WiFi and being able to HOST/DSP uplifts over that makes maintaining large fleets so much easier.

Does Harris have anything like that?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Being in the medical field, I have never owned a professional radio like this. I would certainly be interested, but wonder if something like this can be programmed by yourself, or do you need to be affiliated with a government or LE agency. Also, do these radios have scanning and trunking function.
Looks very interesting, and might like to buy one in the future.
Steve AA6IO

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
but wonder if something like this can be programmed by yourself, or do you need to be affiliated with a government or LE agency.

Anyone can buy the CPS and cable. FPP is also an option (for conventional only).

Also, do these radios have scanning and trunking function.

Yes, they can be ordered with trunking software, as the spec sheet says, Smartnet, Smartzon, Astro 25 phase 1 and 2.

Scan is standard feature.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Motorola hasn't made an official announcement, but we've received word that the APX8000 portable series is soon to be officially announced.

Ooooooooo. . . . . pretty!

Maybe I can convince work to buy me one, and I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.