Motorola APX900 to listen to local police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliCannon

I have recently stumbled upon a neat little radio and I was wondering if it is capable of doing both VHF and the P25 Phase 2 talkgroups. I live in Lee County where the county uses a vhf frequency but then the city(tupelo) uses the Phase 2 technology and I am not able to listen to local police in my city with a ham radio. I want to be able to listen to both the county and the city police.

MSWIN P25 information: Mississippi Wireless Integrated Network (MSWIN) Trunking System, Jackson, Mississippi - Scanner Frequencies
Lee county frequencies: Lee County, Mississippi (MS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

edit: I would also like to know if i can disable transmission on the radio, and what programming software i can use to do so, preferably free.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It can. Scanning a P25 phase 2 system is NOT straight forward and simple with a subscriber radio.
The software is NOT free, you will require APX CPS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Using an APX is a -VERY- expensive and complex approach to this. The software, cables, radio, as well as all the knowledge that is required is going to make it very difficult.
Much, much, much cheaper to go with a scanner if listening is all you want to do. And a scanner will give you a lot more flexibility.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Duh. Didn’t look at the phase 2 system, I thought it was VHF. My bad.

no. You would need 2 APX900’s, one VHF and one 7/800MHz to monitor both.

scanphreak

Go buy a UNIDEN BCD325P2 for about $350 bucks and you'll be able to scan VHF, UHF, 700/800/900 trunking, it'll to P25 Phase 2, and you can upgrade it to scan DMR, PROVOICE, and NXDN digital modes.

The APX900 is going to cost you several hundred used, or 2000 new, and then you'll have to acquire Motorola CPS which is several hundred dollars just to program it. Then, you won't be able to set it up because you'll have to have a valid ID on the trunked system in order for it to talk to the controller. Plus you'll be buying one radio for VHF and another one just to follow the P25 Phase 2 stuff. I have a BCD325 and love it.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
You also would have to find a MSWIN system admin or MSWIN Tech to program the trunked system into the APX for you and they usually do not that for just anyone. Sometimes, depending on the system, there's a yearly access cost of having a radio on the trunked system. You would have to sign a use agreement with agencies for you to have access to their talk groups (even if it's receive only). You're better off with one of the scanner models mentioned in the above posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.