• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am looking into purchasing a Astro III so that I can monitor LAPD Frequencys and other Police Depts in Los Angeles County, I am currently looking at a Astro that says its "800Mhz" if I buy this radio, will I be able to program im guessing UHF meaning LAPD Freq's ? or does that mean 800MHz only ? does it matter

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Well, an Astro III is not a radio model. Are we talking about a Saber? Xts???
These radios come in bandsplits. You need a UHF range 2 or 460-512 Mhz. An 800 radio won't get you LAPD. UHF range 1 won't even get you where you need to be unless you modify your copy of CPS, but that is another story....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Sorry about that still learning all this cool exciting radio models, I believe its the "Motorola Saber-Astro" same type of radio LAPD used before going to the XTS5000's, although the "Saber-Astro" im looking at says 800MHz, sort of got that gut feeling it wont receive "UHF range 460-512 Mhz"

Looking for that quality sound better then what my scanner receives and for HAM freq too.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Using a professional grade radio is much different than a scanner or ham radio. One of the many reasons that a Motorola radio is so much better than the other two types is that they have a fairly narrow frequency range that they operate on.
I would highly recommend that you check out Batlabs.com and p25.ca as they have a lot of useful information to get you headed in the right direction.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
the correct band split you need for LAPD in an astro saber is hard to find in any astro radio. Its out there but not cheap. The software mod is hit or miss. Some radios will do it and most wont. Its hard to stretch a reciever almost 10-12 mhz out of its range and not loose some sensativity

SCPD

QRT
Thanks, I'm all about quality when it comes too reception especially my local Police Agency which is (LAPD) I recently purchased a "Motorola Saber" Model II, for two-way family recreation use and the range is incredibly better then the "FRS" radios.

I even found a Channel where I am receiving Ventura County Sheriff East, and listening to them Loud and Clear, also programmed onto my 396XT, and both my scanner and my Saber side by side, Saber is great and sounds like an authentic PD radio, and the scanner coming in broken more Mono type of sound. Ventura County Sheriff East is over 55 miles from my house, and I'm receiving that agency Loud and Clear, although I have to keep pressing down on the squelch bottom, but I really don't care for them as much for monitoring, but I can see Motorola is the best way to go for quality !

SCPD

QRT
Ok good to know, I really want to purchase an Astro and get it programmed for LAPD receive only and use for ham once I obtained my license.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
LAPD monitoring

Getting the radio properly programmed may be your biggest challenge. I have been programming radios with software for over 25 years, and if you are inexperienced, an Astro Saber is not the place to learn. It cannot be programmed from the keyboard like most ham radios, and the software is very complicated for a beginner. As was suggested, a good scanner is a far better choice.

SCPD

QRT
Ok thank you, I'm not really at the level to program it myself only because of budget constraints, I was thinking when I do come across an "Astro" I was going to get it programed at a radio service shop, also I work in Security for a college and my security section uses the radio as a phone patch, so I have to press the "PTT" button and simultaneously press down the * on the keypad and answer the calls and when finished press down the # button to hang up and pressing the "PTT"

Basically, wanted to purchase an astro for LAPD Monitoring and for usage purposes for my job.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Basically, wanted to purchase an astro for LAPD Monitoring and for usage purposes for my job.

You should go through your work first to get authorization to use any personal radio on their system. They are licensed by the FCC for a certain number of radios, and you are only authorized to use that system as an employee.

Doing things outside the scope of your employment not only puts your employer at risk, but it could cost you your job. Your employer provides you with what you need, if you want something else, you should ASK first.

Remember it is always easier to ask for permission than forgiveness.

As far as programming a radio for RX only on conventional frequencies, it is not that hard, but not for a novice and with the radios in question, it does require specializied knowledge and equipment to do it RIGHT.
The Astro Saber/XTS3000s can easily be turned into expensive paperweights if the wrong software is used, or unstable programming computers/operating systems/cables are used on them.

SCPD

QRT
Yes very true, I actually wanted to do this before but I was not able too, due to exactly what you just stated. I have recently been promoted to a supervisory position, I over see Logistics, Training, Inspections and fleet meaning the entire radio system. I Already covered the FCC rules and statues, for whatever reasons my Employer has paid FCC for approx 50 (Fifty) Radios (what FCC shows it) and there are only 12 Security Officers and 4 Part Timers (In House) where I work.

Always follow due process and I have been there since 2005. all legal and policy procedures covered including with the Los Angeles Police Commission, which covers certain Security entities Colleges, Armed PPO's etc down to the color of the Uniform. as long as I'm not in violations of Section 15 -definition of a Crime or PC, BP, WIC, Civil, FCC, VC, H & S etc I'm good to go.

I've had a scanner since I was in grade school, do know simple backgrounds just not the totality of Radio like some here do, just now getting into armature and more into radios now due to my status. I like the XTS3000's yet too much for my budget.

Grow up around the Saber-Astro's and prefer that model by choice. My employer actually provides better radios then what I am trying to do. My policy which I have outline and approved, that every one gets a permanent assign radio (take home) by choice and a take home charger, If I get my own radio, I have to surrender the one I have now.

Calling it my "Astro" project, mite take me some time to make it work, but I think I will appreciate it more this way.

Thanks for reminding me about the FCC details, cant understand why my employer has over approx. ten (10) freq's (Analog Convection) with only three (3) in use (Security/facilities) and for each Freq per FCC, only my main freq (Base CH) shows Fifty (50) and all others just show 20-25.

Thank you, you definitely have background sir thanks for the head ups ..

Status
Not open for further replies.