• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro mobile resets during programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlieone

I just purchased a used Astro mobile (D04UJF9PW5AN). When I go to read the codeplug, or even test the RIB comm, the radio immediatly turns itself off, then back on. I get a power failure message in RSS.

Using the same programming cable I can read and write to my Spectra (D45KGA5JB5AK), no problem.

I've checked the cable and the connections appear secure. The battery in my RIB is fresh.

I thought the power supply might not be providing enough current so it's now attached to a big Astron supply.

Any thoughts on what it's doiing?

cmdrwill

If you have the correct programing cable the RIB gets it's power from the radio.

Check your power connections to your radio. Astros have a turn on surge so you need about a 2 amp power supply for programming.

charlieone

If you have the correct programing cable the RIB gets it's power from the radio.

Check your power connections to your radio. Astros have a turn on surge so you need about a 2 amp power supply for programming.

The cable I'm using is based on the schematic on Batboard. It's worked on my Spectra just fine. The schmatics they show for the Astro is exaclty the same. Based on that I'm assuming I'm using the correct cable.

My bench supply was faulting using a 1 amp output so I switched over to a 20-30 amp Astron. Same problem. As soon as I try to read from the radio the middle character lights up really bright then the radio resets.

Other symptom I forgot to mention was that the first time I powered this radio on, the screen would dim a bit and the power supply would buzz telling me that it was overcurrent. It would do this for a second every 5 or so seconds, but it seemed to only do it on particular modes. I'm suspecting that it was trying to affiliate with the system that was already programmed.

RKG

Just a guess, but if you don't have a properly pinned accessory connector, the radio may attempt to transmit an emergency signal upon power up, and if when that happens voltage drops because of an inadequate power supply, the radio will power down and power up again.

charlieone

Just a guess, but if you don't have a properly pinned accessory connector, the radio may attempt to transmit an emergency signal upon power up, and if when that happens voltage drops because of an inadequate power supply, the radio will power down and power up again.

That was one of my thoughts. The cable I'm using is the same one I built for my low power Spectra. From everything I've read they use the same cable. My Spectra has no problem programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.