• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Saber “R” Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
A buddy of mine purchased the Motorola Astro Saber “R” model radios without doing the research. The “R” stands for Ruggedized and was basically used by the military or other federal government installations. It is made better or more rugged if you will and is supposedly pressurized to make it submersible. Here’s the problem. Although the battery will charge in standard Saber chargers it attaches to the radio differently. And the batteries can not be found anywhere. Trust me I looked on the internet for about 6 hours one night. Great radio but without a battery it mine as well be bricked. Lots of “R” models on eBay right now at good prices but unless you know how to overcome the battery issue I would just get the regular “civilian” version.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I recently bought one from eBay expecting that I would have to recell it but turns out the battery is good.

There's no reason not to buy one if you know what you're getting. Your friend obviously had no clue.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
May try to see if you can find a AA clamshell. They are handy to get in event a battery type becomes scarce but finding that even can be challenge depending on what it is.

That or see if someone can build one that has know how and ability to 3d print or mold a clamshell

a417

well, it was developed in the late 80s, and NLA'd by moto over 2 decades ago...

your buddy should have researched, a fool and his money are easily parted

mancow

Database Admin
NTN7058AR is the battery number

Many of those old housings are at the point now the membrane over the speaker is dry and flaking. I would not trust one in water.

I made a regular battery to R model adapter. If he wants it I will sell it.

20191004_221527.jpg20191004_221532.jpg

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Now that's slick. How much length does it add to the radio?

Many of those old housings are at the point now the membrane over the speaker is dry and flaking. I would not trust one in water.

View attachment 75883View attachment 75884

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie

View attachment 75883View attachment 75884
I will PM you. It sucks that he has a perfectly good working Model I P25 VHF radio he can't use. The battery had just enough juice for me to read it and rewrite the codeplug for our local repeaters. So any chance to get that to work I'll jump on it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.