• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Spectra Plus VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
ok this is going to sound stupid... I know the Astro plus radios are the in between radios of the astro spectra and XTL radios.. and use the same CPS as the XTL but here are a few questions I have
1 Programming Cable..? is it the same as the spectra using the rear 15 pin or ..? I was told there is a cable that can plug in to the W5 mic port to program..? is a RIB required..?
2 do these radio have the leaky components inside like the Astro spectra ..?
3 does the radio use Astro spectra encryption boards or XTL boards..?
4 can you upgrade from a W4/5 to a W9 via CPS like the XTL or ..?

Thanks for any information....

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
1. Programming cable is a ribless RS232 P/N HKN6155. It does plug into the mic port, the DB 15 cable will not work.
2. RF sections were close to the same as the Astro Spectra, in some cases the same. I would watch the caps.
3. I can't recall for sure, but I would assume so on the UCM but I don't think the carrier board is the same. If that is not correct I hope someone will let you know.
4. I believe you can use any of the W heads with the exception of the W3. I'll check tomorrow when I can get to an ASP codeplug.

Jim

secureradio01

These radios use a UCM all their own. It looks identical to the UCM that an Astro Saber or Astro Spectra use, but it has a special firmware that will ONLY WORK in a Astro Spectra Plus. I have confirmed this 100%. I can list part #'s for the UCM's if you need them, they are very scarce. I may have a couple lying around that have DES-XL and DES-OFB in them, but the AES versions are really hard to find.

On the control heads, the Astro 25 CPS will NOT allow you to change control heads on the AS+ like you can on the other Astro 25 mobile radios. The reason for this is that the model number includes the control head type ie: ( D04UJH9SW3an ) just like the standard astro spectras did.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
These radios use a UCM all their own. It looks identical to the UCM that an Astro Saber or Astro Spectra use, but it has a special firmware that will ONLY WORK in a Astro Spectra Plus. I have confirmed this 100%. I can list part #'s for the UCM's if you need them, they are very scarce. I may have a couple lying around that have DES-XL and DES-OFB in them, but the AES versions are really hard to find.

On the control heads, the Astro 25 CPS will NOT allow you to change control heads on the AS+ like you can on the other Astro 25 mobile radios. The reason for this is that the model number includes the control head type ie: ( D04UJH9SW3an ) just like the standard astro spectras did.
I could've sworn they were like the XTL5000 TIBs. W3 TIB could be used with a W3 or W9 and the other TIB could be used with W4/5/7 and W9. I seem to remember running a high power Plus that was a W3 model with a W9 on the bench.

One major point of note on the 800 MHz Spectra Plus...they are only 800 MHz and won't do 700 like the XTLs will.

Status
Not open for further replies.