• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Spectra Programming Cable

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Software would come from Motorola and a cable you can get from a lot of different vendors.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
The software is no longer avaialble from Motorola.
You can build a cable if you have a rib or many people have them for sale on Ebay

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
If its an ASTRO Spectra Plus, it will require a different (almost unobtanium) cable and ASTRO25 Mobile CPS. The label on the back will say PLUS on it where it usually says 1 MEG.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Id be interested in that also as I've tried my spectra cable from rear and it wont work. The only one I found to work on the AS+ was the same one as I use for my consolette.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The special cable goes into the secure connection and has some blob in the middle of the cable.
You can program via RS-232 on the rear connector, and I don't have that info handy anymore once I got the special cable. I did find it on the web, so try repeater builder, bat-labs etc. You may have to check the MLM to be sure it's setup for RS-232 or change jumpers.

AS+ are bastard radios, which mother M always makes by screwing up a really good radio like the AS as a holdover until the next generation. They did the same with the MX-S. Early ones were terrible, but the green boards were really good, and I bought a lot of just the boards NIB for projects like updating MX PT'S from crystal to synth.

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
See my wiki for Astro Spectra Plus programming info: Astro Spectra Plus - W3AXL Wiki

Goes over the required jumpers for rear RS-232 programming as well as a cable that theoretically could be used to program from the front mic connector. Be warned that I was never able to get the front cable to work with the schematic I found.