• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Spectra W3 No voice tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjmark24

Hello,

Recently purchased a Motorola Astro spectra 110w mobile, usedthe diagram listed on this forum in order to make my own w3 control head cable. I've managed to get everything powered up and programmed but seem to be running into a problem.

After freshly programming the mobile everything works completely fine but after a few minutes the transmit audio no longer works and nothing I do fixes it. I've attempted to reprogram the radios and it will no longer send audio even after a fresh codeplug is put in.

The radio mdc ID will go through and all other functions work but the audio verbal transmission audio will not go through.

Also unnoticed that after the tx stopped working the power Ignition sense no longer has an effect and the radio only turns on when the B+ is connected is connected.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Have you checked the capacitors? Bad caps plagued these lines, I'd check those first.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

sjmark24

I've been aware that the capacitors can go on these but is that possible for it to work off the bat and then fail within a few minutes?

I will check the board again but didnt notice it initially when I did a look over before programming it.

Caps fail in weird ways. Yes it's possible. When they warm up, they start acting up. Then they cool, they work normally. Makes perfect sense, don't you think?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

sjmark24

I'll look at it again but it has just failed and no matter how long the radio sits without being used it will still start up and not transmit audio. Its just odd that the MDC ID goes through completely fine.

sjmark24

After taking another look, everything appears to be okay but I'm waiting for a multimeter in order to check it more definitively.

The only other thing that could be suspect is my Y cable that I made from the diagrams that can be found on batlabs. I followed the diagram and only connected what I would really need, so I opted to not wire up most of the db9 cable. Is there something that could be awry with that?

cmdrwill

Which "diagram" and what front panel does the radio have? Some 25 pin connectors are missing Mic Hi pin. Missing little zero ohm 'jumper' resistor.

9 pin connector?

sjmark24

Which "diagram" and what front panel does the radio have? Some 25 pin connectors are missing Mic Hi pin. Missing little zero ohm 'jumper' resistor.

9 pin connector?

This is the diagram I am referring to. w3 Y diagram

This is the 110w model, specifically T04KLH9PW3AN 1 MEG T99DX+088W ASTRO W3

That may be the issue then, would missing the jumper cause it to work initially then fail after a few minutes and then no longer work after that failure even with a power cycle?

As for the 9 pin connector, the 25 pin out is split into a db9 for accessories such as speaker out and ignition out and the other half is split into a db25 which is connected to the w3 control head. reference the diagram for more info.

sjmark24

DB15, 15 pin accy connector. Check for 8 volts DC on the mic lead.

Correct, my head was thinking vga cable on a computer I was working on earlier sorry lol.

The DB15 cable is the correct accessory port that splits off on the Y cable

sjmark24

So I tested the Mic Hi and Mic Lo lines on the DB25 connected (pin 11&12) it shows the high has a resting voltage of 8.7 and on transmit it goes up to 9.3 as for the lo line it shows 0.2 on rest and on transmit goes up to 1.3

Does this info help?

Status
Not open for further replies.