• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Spectra/XTS3000 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Hi all,

I have been searching and searching for someone with a similar problem, but I haven't been able to find anything.

I recently purchased a Motorola Astro Spectra and programmed it to our department's specs. The programming includes local fire, EMS, Sheriff's Office channels, etc. All of the frequencies receive *EXCEPT* our main SO channel. However, I know the frequency is correct with the correct PL tone. The channel will receive when I key up on "direct mode" on another radio; however, it just will not pick up the SO channel when the rest of the department is using it. All of our other portable and mobiles are programmed with the same frequency/PL combo, so I know it isn't a typo.

Now, I wouldn't be too intrigued with this if it wasn't for my next problem. My XTS3000 that I had not too long ago had the SAME exact issue on the same frequency. No other mobile or portable that I have used (different models) has had an issue receiving any frequencies, much less our main SO channel.

FWIW, the channel is VHF at 154.875 with a PL of 114.8.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I wouldn't be this mad if it was just about any other channel, but this is one of the main reasons I have this mobile radio!

-Dan

12dbsinad

Does the SO use a repeater or is it a simplex frequency of 154.875?

Since both radios are doing the same thing it's more than likely a programming issue.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
It is a repeated channel. The weird part about it is that I can program the same settings into another radio and it will receive. The last thing that I can try to tinker with is the ultra narrow frequency filter, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

12dbsinad

It is a repeated channel. The weird part about it is that I can program the same settings into another radio and it will receive. The last thing that I can try to tinker with is the ultra narrow frequency filter, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

The repeater uses 2 different sets of frequencies. 1 to TX and 1 to RX. By just programming 154.875 in both TX and RX means you would not be talking through the repeater. There is another frequency that is used for the repeater input, or your TX of the Spectra.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Right, I get that. I'm not having problems transmitting at all. I hit the repeater just fine. I've got the proper frequencies in the proper places. I'm just starting to wonder if there is a certain programming feature I'm missing with these older Motorola radios. The APX radios that I have programmed have worked just fine, as well as Kenwood.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Yes, that is the transmit frequency for the repeater. Like I said, I'm not having issues with that, I can't receive any audio from any officers or from dispatch. The receive frequency has been quadruple checked, as has the PL tone. I'm fairly certain this isn't a frequency typo error. I have compared this codeplug to others that do work and they appear identical. I'm stumped.

12dbsinad

Right, I get that. I'm not having problems transmitting at all. I hit the repeater just fine. I've got the proper frequencies in the proper places. I'm just starting to wonder if there is a certain programming feature I'm missing with these older Motorola radios. The APX radios that I have programmed have worked just fine, as well as Kenwood.

Ok. Just starting with the basics as it was never mentioned, also mentioned the other radio having the same problem.

Does the busy indicator light up? or is it completely dead?

Have you checked and/or settings?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
To rule out some strange selection on that specific personality, I would recommend reprogramming one of the working RX personalities with your dispatch RX freq and PL...that would likely help rule out any oddities in secondary personality features that may have gotten botched.

Paul

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Tried it in CSQ, still nothing. The indicator light does not light up at all when I should be receiving audio from dispatch/other officers. It does light up when I receive audio from other channels but it seems this one is just dead. I did reprogram another personality as well to see if there was a wacky setting, but still nothing. The And/OR settings are the same as every other personality. It's almost like there is a disconnect between my radio and the repeater, but I have no idea why.

sfd119

Is the personality receive only and is it set to wideband or narrowband? Astro25, Analog, or mixed mode on the personality for receive?

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
The personality is NOT a receive only, I have it set to transmit as well. It is set to narrowband. Analog frequency.

As I'm writing this, I'm actually starting to receive audio, as I changed it back to CSQ. Weird though, because I put the same PL tone in for receive as my other radios that properly receive the audio WITH PL tone.

12dbsinad

The personality is NOT a receive only, I have it set to transmit as well. It is set to narrowband. Analog frequency.

As I'm writing this, I'm actually starting to receive audio, as I changed it back to CSQ. Weird though, because I put the same PL tone in for receive as my other radios that properly receive the audio WITH PL tone.

There is obviously something going on with programming. You said you tried it earlier in CSQ with nothing now it works in CSQ, correct? Try reversing your steps to figure out whats going on.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Honestly sounds like RX for the personality was set for Astro and not analog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfd119

Honestly sounds like RX for the personality was set for Astro and not analog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was asking about above, but OP doesn't seem to want to answer the questions....

12dbsinad

That's what I was asking about above, but OP doesn't seem to want to answer the questions....

Guess he figured it out.

The issue would have made the thread more informative for others... oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.