• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOROLA BASIC ENCRYPTION: Is it now affordable???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Read about Stamford, CT's new fully encrypted radio system that just went up on June 28th and read comments on this board regarding the now affordable price of basic encryption for new or upgraded Motorola radio systems. Does this mean we will typically see more and more encrypted radio systems in coming years??

And how much more does it cost to include encryption in a new radio system??

I once heard an unconfirmed figure of 25% more for encryption as an add on.

Thanks and Happy July 4th to all.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Motorola's ADP encryption is rumored to be around $10/radio if purchased when the radio is brand new. It is getting used more and more here in Colorado, and I suspect that there will be a lot more of it as time goes on and agencies purchase new radios.

I think that the price you heard is for more traditional types of encryption like those which the federal government uses.

Astro25

Used encryption modules are fairly decent, if you have a need for them. A DES-XL/OFB module for the ever-popular Astro Saber and XTS3000 is only around $125 for recent UCM software in it. A "Tri" module for the Astro25 line (XL, OFB, AES256) runs around $250.

XTS3000

For most encryption you'll also need a keyloader. They range from 100 to 5000 USD depending on the algo needed to load. Software ADP doesn't need a keyloader tho.......

fineshot1

It should be noted that ADP is not interoperable with other manufactures radios - its moto only.

Also - ADP does not work across a moto network so to speak. Its radio to radio. You can not
load an ADP encryption code into the consoles or a base station and communicate to dispatch
with it.

One more item I can think of that should be mentioned. Once the ADP encryption code is
determined you had better record it and keep it in a safe place. If its forgotten or even
miss-placed your gonna be sorry if you have a lot of radios with it loaded into cause if
you get any more new radios it you will not be able to program them with it and you
will eventually have to reprogram all your other radios to a new code. I have seen an
agency do this so it can happen if the wrong person is in charge of communications.

So it does have some limitations that should be noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.