• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola cdm1550 firmware upgrade (remote head)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
hi guys,
so i just got a remote head and installed it as it says in the manual, but the radio doesnt power up. someone told me i need to upgrade my radio. doesn anyone knows how to upgrade the firmware and what version i need? tnx

N1GTL

Database Admin
I believe that the last firmware for that radio was R05.10.04. You need the firmware update program, a RIB, a flash adapter and a programming cable.

That being said, the radio not powering on will not be resolved by updating the firmware. The radio NEEDS to power up in order to upgrade the firmware. Perhaps try putting power to the ignition pin?

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
I believe that the last firmware for that radio was R05.10.04. You need the firmware update program, a RIB, a flash adapter and a programming cable.

That being said, the radio not powering on will not be resolved by updating the firmware. The radio NEEDS to power up in order to upgrade the firmware. Perhaps try putting power to the ignition pin?

the radio powers on! when i install the remote head, it doesnt power on! do you think the firmware is the problem?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hi guys,
so i just got a remote head and installed it as it says in the manual, but the radio doesnt power up. someone told me i need to upgrade my radio. doesn anyone knows how to upgrade the firmware and what version i need? tnx
I agree with N1GTL; simple power on is not a firmware upgrade issue. And, stop and think about this: If you can't power on the radio, how are you going to upgrade the firmware or even program it? The answer is that you can not. So solve the power on problem first.

Some things to check and then double check:

First, there are two ribbon cables; one between the radio box and the remote front housing, and the other between the control head and the remote front housing. These cables must be correctly and completely seated for the radio to work at all. There's a little O or dot on the cables and on the places where they plug in. They need to match up, and then the cables need to be fully seated.

Second, how did the radio power on before you installed the remote kit? Did it need 12vdc ignition sense or just push the on/off button? It should work the same with the remote kit in place.

Third, it's possible that the remote cable is defective. That's easy to test, just find yourself a standard CAT-5E cable (not a cross-over cable) and plug it in in place of the Motorola remote cable.

A word about firmware upgrades for the Waris radios: Except for the very, very early models, firmware upgrades have been few and far between. I've kept a close eye on this product line across a number of forums, and vary rarely have any of the more expert users reported or even discussed firmware upgrades. I've never upgraded any of the Pro Series radios in my fleet or any of my client's fleets.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
the radio powers on! when i install the remote head, it doesnt power on! do you think the firmware is the problem?
Two of us have told you that power on is not a firmware issue.

If the radio powered on in dash mount configuration, but won't in remote head configuration, then there is something wrong with the remote head installation. It is as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.