• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CDM1550LS running battery dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsigg

Hi,

In our John Deere 9870 combine I installed a CDM1550LS it turns on/off with ignition sense cable.

Is it possible that it can run the battery dead somehow?

It was sitting for about 1 week and was very weak and needed a boost.

Thanks.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
he has an ignition sense so technically the radio should not be drawing any current while the ignition sense if OFF.
Thats if it was installed properly and the radio is operating properly.
But radioman2001 has a good point. You can unplug the unit completely for a week and see if the combine is running dead.
heck my Dodge Ram 1500 goes dead if not run for a week. Thats with evertying unplugged and turned off. (stuff i put in it, not stuff dodge put in it)

fineshot1

he has an ignition sense so technically the radio should not be drawing any current while the ignition sense if OFF.
Thats if it was installed properly and the radio is operating properly.
But radioman2001 has a good point. You can unplug the unit completely for a week and see if the combine is running dead.
heck my Dodge Ram 1500 goes dead if not run for a week. Thats with evertying unplugged and turned off. (stuff i put in it, not stuff dodge put in it)

That could be the hitch here - if the radio is working and hooked up properly.

I originally had my two CDM radios hooked up hot on the main power cable
and not using the ignition sense when I first got them. Did not think it would be
a problem. Well - they killed my battery. I had to reconfigure and and hook up
the ign sense and now all is well.

trm70c

We have had the same problems with the CDM1550ls+ in our combine. I think what happens is it turns on with the key (you hear the double beep) but the gps monitor is somehow backfeeding into the powerstrip and the radio doesn't turn off with the key (our radio is behind mounted on the box for the manual, so no one looks to see if it is off on the way out of the cab). Or that's what was happening with ours. Every year when I put the radio into the new combine i spend about an hour trying to chase it down. I gave up, there is a master battery cut off switch on the battery box in front of the right rear tire. Every evening, shut down and walk back there and flip the switch. Takes all of ten seconds, and haven't had a dead battery since.

Good Luck

bsigg

Yeah we didn't take anymore chances trying to find it we just shut off the power kill switch every night.

I think in the future I need to buy a 20ft power cable and run it directly to the battery.

It will be interesting figuring out how to install the radio in the new S680.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Yeah we didn't take anymore chances trying to find it we just shut off the power kill switch every night.

I think in the future I need to buy a 20ft power cable and run it directly to the battery.

It will be interesting figuring out how to install the radio in the new S680.

The Motorola Install manual for the CDM radios specifically states to connect the + lead of the main power cable directly to the + terminal of the vehicle battery. Connecting it elsewhere is a very possible cause of your problem.

If the radio's Ignition Sense Configuration is programmed for On/Off AND Ignition, it is very possible that something in the installation is forcing the radio to remain on when you think it should be off. Connecting the Ignition Sense wire to a power strip in the vehicle may be defeating it in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.