• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola "chirping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Observer

You are hearing full length MDC 1200 however the receiver is using DOS muting to partially blank it out. If the DOS mute settings are not just right you will hear a MDC chirp just like that.

Astro25

That sounds like way too much DOS muting.

Sounds to me like Astro TPSK FDNY signalling. It uses a short burst of P25 data to send a longer ID #. That's probably what it is, although I have never heard it before so it's just an assumption...

Astro25

FF86

I've found out it is indeed some sort of P25 data burst for radio ID use. (FDNY uses 7 digit radio id's).
Now the question is if its a short P25 burst before and/or after a conventional analog transmission, is it a true "P25" feature or a proprietary motorola feature which requires their Astro product??

ke5fgc

Premium Subscriber
I have seen this flash port option before. Supposedly its using Astro Signaling on an Analog Channel

G857-FDNY Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set

AlexC

Database Admin
Your correct, they are using P25/Astro signaling with conventional analog voice. You do not specifically need G857 for this feature to work, it's called Tactical Public Safety and is avaliable in any Astro25 radio.

The FDNY option changes the algorithm that the radio follows when the ebutton is pressed. There may be one or two other things that it does, but the TPS is not a function of the FDNY option.

Any Astro25 platform radio which has a 5 as the first digit in the flash code and a display should be able to decode TPS ID's.

See the help file in CPS on how to properly program these channels.

Alex

KC2YSI

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Tom, winmdcd will only decode the MDC-1200 signal. I'm more concerned with the ASTRO25 part of the signal. All the software I have found so far to decode ASTRO25 is for the control channel, and expects the entire communication to be digital.

KC2YSI

Premium Subscriber
That sounds like the reminder chirp from a radio that the emergency signal has been activated. From the other audio, it sounds like MDC-1200 signaling, which supports emergency alarms. Usually, to turn off this reminder, you have to turn the radio off then back on (to prevent accidental clearing of the alarm).

gtaman

It's definitely MDC1200 DOS muting. It almost sounds like pre DOS muting if it's possible. I recall if you use MDC emergency functions it will DOS mute all pages and IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.