• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CP200 UHF Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening I wanted to see if anybody else has issues with the range of there CP200. I have the standered antenna on it. The stock antenna. Did anybody else try to hook up a mobile antenna to it to improve the range or buy anther rubber duck antenna. I dont know if a mobile antenna can be setup with this radio or not. The school repeater I am trying to pickup is only down the road and I cant even pick it up. It is a 20W repeater. It is a UHF repeater and radio.

Thank you

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
We use CP200s at work. They cover a one square block, 22 story building in simplex only with no problems.

Are you sure that system is even monitorable. A 20 watt repeater isn't really that strong. It also depends on their antenna setup. It may be more orientated for indoor use thereby limiting it's functional range to a block or so.

We use CP200s at work. They cover a one square block, 22 story building in simplex only with no problems.

Are you sure that system is even monitorable. A 20 watt repeater isn't really that strong. It also depends on their antenna setup. It may be more orientated for indoor use thereby limiting it's functional range to a block or so.

I think the repeater antenna is a pipe on the side of the building. Yes it is monitorable when I am at the school. But when I leave is when I loose reception of the repeater.

gtaman

I also use the Motorola CP200 and I have had zero problems with them. I can't hit repeaters from miles away and I usually get about 2 to 3 miles on simplex.

I also use the Motorola CP200 and I have had zero problems with them. I can't hit repeaters from miles away and I usually get about 2 to 3 miles on simplex.

Were you in a place where there are alot of buildings and were the repeaters high powered or not?

Last edited:

gtaman

Were you in a place where there are alot of buildings and were the repeaters high powered or not?

I've used them in the woods, upstate Michigan and I commonly use them in downtown. I get usially a mile down town. The repeaters were high and low powered. I can can pick up a 20 watt repeater easy with them.

I've used them in the woods, upstate Michigan and I commonly use them in downtown. I get usially a mile down town. The repeaters were high and low powered. I can can pick up a 20 watt repeater easy with them.

Do you think the radio needs to be serviced? I am using the short stubby antenna.

FKimble

Get a mobile antenna for your car(even a mag mount) and whatever adapter is needed to attach the cable to the radio. Should extend your range significantly.

Get a mobile antenna for your car(even a mag mount) and whatever adapter is needed to attach the cable to the radio. Should extend your range significantly.

I have a mag mount UHF antenna but it has the wrong connecter on it. I can see if my tech can take off that connecter and but the right one on and see if that works or not. I was using that mag mount for anther radio.

gtaman

I have a mag mount UHF antenna but it has the wrong connecter on it. I can see if my tech can take off that connecter and but the right one on and see if that works or not. I was using that mag mount for anther radio.

I wouldn't go for an external antenna. A lot of CP200 have center pin issues when you use and then remove them. You should defiantly go for a wideband antenna they work much better. Also you radio could be programmed to have a tight squelch. And that will block a lot of transmissions.

I wouldn't go for an external antenna. A lot of CP200 have center pin issues when you use and then remove them. You should defiantly go for a wideband antenna they work much better. Also you radio could be programmed to have a tight squelch. And that will block a lot of transmissions.

Ok thank you for all the help. I will try normal squelch and if that dont work I will buy a Wide band antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.