• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CPS Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Has anyone ever heard of corruption of the Motorola CPS programs?

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Any software can become corrupt, even straight from motorolas website. Software is software it doesn't matter where it came from unless it's been altered. Now then, in what way was it "corrupted"?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the difference is, when you download "corrputed" software off MOL, you can open a support ticket, and get it fixed. You also get the benefit of a CD/DVD being sent to you via FedEX.

You see, when you actually subscribe to the software, you get the ability to get support. Something you don't get the benefit of with bootleg software downloaded off the internet. :wink:

PACNWDude

I have had Motorola CPS software corrupt from their website. Copies on disc fail and have had radios that sat on the shelf unused for a few years corrupt their codeplug.

The codeplug was loaded into the radios and then they sat not being connected to a power source. This was with newer Vertex Standard VX-4200 radios after Motorola bought them and changed the software.

I have had Maxtrac and Saber radios on the shelf for years and still have their codeplug intact.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am not sure if it is corrupt or not. Using the same cables and the same radio with the same version of the software I can successfully program the radio on one computer but not the other. I believe I have it narrowed down to software corruption, serial port/hardware failure or both.

Any thoughts?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I am not sure if it is corrupt or not. Using the same cables and the same radio with the same version of the software I can successfully program the radio on one computer but not the other. I believe I have it narrowed down to software corruption, serial port/hardware failure or both.

Any thoughts?
Are both computers running the same version of Windows? If one is Windows 7 64 bit or Win 8, and the other is neither, that may be your answer right there. A number of different CPS's for various radios choke on these two. Some will also choke on Win 7 32 bit, and some don't even like Vista.

This issue is well documented here and on the batboard ever since Win 7 came out.

PACNWDude

Both Win XP, one works but not the other. You can go to Hardware Manager and see if the com port is set to COM1 on the non working computer. Otherwise there could be something wrong.

That version of CPS should be fine on XP. The newer CPS version address problems with Windows Vista7/8 compatibility problems.

Many Motorola service shops are buying up XP Pro computers as radio programmers since they work better than Vista/7/8.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Well here is some more information to add to the discussion. I was able to successfully program my Motorola XTS2500 with the ASTRO25 Portable CPS. I was also able to program my HT1250 with the Professional Series CPS.

I am beginning to think more and more that my Commercial Series CPS along with Radius Series RSS must be corrupt. Neither one of these programs will allow me to program a radio using this computer.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing...

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Still having issues. I have tested the serial com port and it seems to be working normally. No lose pins and I have been able to program other radios using other software to program them. I am thinking that the problem has to be isolated to the software itself.

The Commercial Series CPS gives me the Error #768 code when attempting to read the radio. It gives me this code whether I have the radio and cable hooked up or not. This also leads me to believe that the CPS is not able to communicate with the Serial Port. I have confirmed that the correct port has been selected and any other obvious troubleshooting issues. This seems more advanced!

com501

What VERSION of CPS?

What VERSION of Windows XP?

IS this a HARD PHYSICAL serial port or a USB to serial adapter?

Are both computers the same brand or motherboard manufacturer? Laptop, desktop?

Have called the support desk to inquire what the error 768 means yet?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am using several different CPS programs for multiple different radios. The Commercial Series CPS is R5.16. The Radius 1225 Series is R04.00.

I am using a true serial port on the laptop running Windows XP SP3.

Like I said I have successfully programmed all these radios before. It was only until recently that something went wrong with the software and I cannot program these radios.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Have you called Motorola? The one time I had an issue they were very helpful.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I just got off the phone with them and they claimed it was because I am using a USB cable. The fact that I have been successfully programming multiple radios prior to this and still can using other computers didn't seem to interest them. I think I must have something messed up in the registry files. The root cause is obviously deeper than just uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

cmdrwill

Windows has been known to steel resources from applications like CPS. A USB is one resource that gets screwed up.

cabletech

Current version for commerical is 5.18, ver 4 is not only current but is also the last for the 1225.

brandon, we talked about what you need to look for but you have not sent me the information, so behond this I think I am out.

RodStrong

Not too long ago I had an issue with freqs above a certain range (still within the radios' range) that would receive but wouldn't transmit on a few MCS2000's. After a ton of drama and eventually sending a radio in for inspection, I was told my software was corrupted. I got some fresh software and they are working fine now. Only time I think I ever had "corrupted" software, and I don't know what caused it.

Status
Not open for further replies.