• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CPS Programming Software Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
XTS3000 said:
How in the world is everyone bricking their Motorolas?? I try on purpose to brick a Motorola, and can't.

Program a trunked radio on someones system you're not supposed to be on, then wait and see. You know 99% of the idiots would end up with a dead radio within a week.

Grog

Banned
Astro25 said:
Yeah then you have to spend a whole 10 minutes blowing a new image into the radio :lol: .

I really don't want to think of you, an astor, and "blowing" anything.

Grog

Banned
I hate CPS, just saying.... Me likey RSS cause' I'm oldschool

Last edited:

emtbrat29

i use cps on my cpu and its vista i have no problems programing my ht1250 now since i spent 6 hours working on it with out books lol

immelmen

Grog said:
Program a trunked radio on someones system you're not supposed to be on, then wait and see. You know 99% of the idiots would end up with a dead radio within a week.

hmmm, if one can commit about a week to spending a lot of time just reading the batboards and learning what hardware to use and how to program it correctly, I'd be willing to bet a mildly retarded chimp could program up a trunked system and never get "bricked"......just depends on how much effort you want to put into not wasting your radio.

Grog

Banned
immelmen said:
I'd be willing to bet a mildly retarded chimp could program up a trunked system and never get "bricked"

But this is RR, and 99% of the members here would have to go to the zoo for assistance :lol:

immelmen

Grog said:
But this is RR, and 99% of the members here would have to go to the zoo for assistance :lol:

HAHA! Touche Grog!...you are correct about that, I must have forgotten where I was posting for a moment :lol:

n5ims

KK5FM said:
In light of the original question about Motorola Software, does anyone here know if Thales has the same draconian policy towards its software? And if they are just as proud of it?

Disclaimer: My tag line applies only to Oklahoma, as far as I know.

They're much better now than before, runs in Windows on machines faster than 100MHz. Still generally a per user license (your tech quits, you buy a new copy) and nearly as much as a good digital scanner per copy.

richardc63

n5ims said:
They're much better now than before, runs in Windows on machines faster than 100MHz. Still generally a per user license (your tech quits, you buy a new copy) and nearly as much as a good digital scanner per copy.

And all I did was go & visit Moto this morning and they gave me the latest updates of CPS I needed... oh sorry I forgot- we actually buy radios off them & not just sit around on RR pretending we do. Good grief... the way some of you carry on I wouldn't give you a copy of Solitaire lest you would go and stuff it up... I've found them to be helpful 99.9% of the time but then I have a reason to have the CPS & not just too much time on my hands like some folk.

Cheers,

Richard

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
richardc63 said:
And all I did was go & visit Moto this morning and they gave me the latest updates of CPS I needed... oh sorry I forgot- we actually buy radios off them & not just sit around on RR pretending we do. Good grief... the way some of you carry on I wouldn't give you a copy of Solitaire lest you would go and stuff it up... I've found them to be helpful 99.9% of the time but then I have a reason to have the CPS & not just too much time on my hands like some folk.

Cheers,

Richard

They may have given you the CPS, but it still was not done legally. An MSS or dealer is not authorized to give away or even sell software. You must go through MOL to legally buy it. It makes no difference how many radios that you've bought from the dealer, you must sign the license agreement electronically via MOL. Someone at that shop did (sign the agreement), so it's their butt on the line, not the guy who gave you the copy.

richardc63

rescue161 said:
They may have given you the CPS, but it still was not done legally. An MSS or dealer is not authorized to give away or even sell software. You must go through MOL to legally buy it. It makes no difference how many radios that you've bought from the dealer, you must sign the license agreement electronically via MOL. Someone at that shop did (sign the agreement), so it's their butt on the line, not the guy who gave you the copy.

Well if you want to lecture Motorola Australia (not an agent or a vendor) about who they choose to provide the CPS to, with us having previously signed the licence agreement, then be my guest. It was done with the full knowledge of Motorola's management- and that just demonstrates how common sense IS applied to the supply of software to customers who have made a significant economic committment to their product. It is a partnership that works well for both parties and is why I am a touch cynical when I read the anti-Motorola verbage on here. RR provides a great forum for axe grinding and opposing vendor assassination- mixed in amongst the genuine information.

Cheers,

Richard

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
richardc63 said:
Well if you want to lecture Motorola Australia (not an agent or a vendor) about who they choose to provide the CPS to, with us having previously signed the licence agreement, then be my guest. It was done with the full knowledge of Motorola's management- and that just demonstrates how common sense IS applied to the supply of software to customers who have made a significant economic committment to their product. It is a partnership that works well for both parties and is why I am a touch cynical when I read the anti-Motorola verbage on here. RR provides a great forum for axe grinding and opposing vendor assassination- mixed in amongst the genuine information.

Cheers,

Richard

I had no idea that you were in Australia. I am not anti-Motorola either. Just pointing out the way the rules are here in the States and what I had to do for my CPS on my MOL account. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.