• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CPS Programming Software Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK2BCK

I am amazed how many folks here get offensive when someone else has a Motorola radio too. I use Motorola radios simply because I like them and they work great - that's all.
Do you have to be not a very nice person in order to be allowed to use Motorolas?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I have also noticed that people get very touchy also when you mention that you are on a Motorola radio, as if it is against the rules or something, especially if it is a P25 radio.

IMO, it is nobody's business but my own what kind of radio I am using or what all is programmed in it. I think the problem is that the vast majority of hams want to play radio police or mini-FCC, which they are not.

On another note, be wary of installing Astro25 CPS on Vista. It is compatible in some ways, but after an install of the latest version on a Vista machine, it gave a warning that certain operating systems parameters had to be changed to use it. After not heeding that warning, the computer would boot to the BSOD until the computer was restarted in safe mode and the CPS uninstalled.

Robert721

I carried Mot's for 30 years on the job, they are good radios and as far as ham use the way the Mot's drop the tone(ctcss/dcs) first before the carrier always made for a quiet drop with no squelch tail, but and there always is one(but), I could do more with an Icom , Yaesu or a Kenwood when it came to programming and quickly. One wire or jumper and they work all over the band and saved us in many situations. Legal ... no, but one radio two bands and cross band repeat in emergencies. They both have pro's and con's. If the amateur radio manufactures would simple adopt some of the pro's of the mot's and add the to the pro's of their equipment ...wow, a top seller is born.

P.S. When it comes to P-25 and commercial or Public Safety use I would use Motorola and maybe on ham bands if it were easier to program. Being able to dial in a freq/tone or dcs on the fly has it's advantages. Motorola, I just like them and they do work well but for now I'll stay with my ham gear on ham bands.

Last edited:

securitymikey

Maybe you have been lucky...I know a few people that have bricked their radios taking the cable off too soon. Seems to happen with the CDMs and HT1250s and those types from what I hear. I was reprogramming a CDM once and the power when out in a storm. We got back power a few seconds later and I had a nice EPROM error on the screen. The radio wouldn't do nothing! Thank god the radio still had a few months left on the warranty or I'd have a nice paperweight on my desk. That is unless I wanted to spend over 300 bucks sending back to Big M. At least thats what the shop told me.

AE106

CPS diffculty

I have a CPS R 02.06.. I have tried on Vista and Windows XP to read a HT1250. Several years ago I was able to without problem using the same USB cable I have now. For some reason, every time I go to read it i get a message say 'check the radio, check the com port, etc'. It goes that with every com port (on windows). On vista it says that with all com ports except the last one, which say 'product no supported'. Any ideas on how to solve this?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have a CPS R 02.06.. I have tried on Vista and Windows XP to read a HT1250. Several years ago I was able to without problem using the same USB cable I have now. For some reason, every time I go to read it i get a message say 'check the radio, check the com port, etc'. It goes that with every com port (on windows). On vista it says that with all com ports except the last one, which say 'product no supported'. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Throughout the years, you may have installed other software/hardware that has changed the port settings. You can verify/change these settings if you right-click My Computer and then select Manage. Next, click Device Manager and then under Ports, you'll see the settings. I had to manually change a port back to Port-1 due to having the same issues. All is well now. You just have to make sure that the port that you are changing to is not set for anything else. Your results may vary.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I have the software and programming cable coming today via FedEX and hopefully all will go well...Like some of the others have stated about some users act like its illegal to talk on a Motorola radio..Like for instance one of the big shots for one of repeaters here locally got all defensive about me talking on my Motorola XPR 6550 him saying this saying that and etc.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have the software and programming cable coming today via FedEX and hopefully all will go well...Like some of the others have stated about some users act like its illegal to talk on a Motorola radio..Like for instance one of the big shots for one of repeaters here locally got all defensive about me talking on my Motorola XPR 6550 him saying this saying that and etc.

Just because you have a programmable radio and the capability to program it does not mean you can talk on any frequency you want.

It's not the radio, it is the frequency. If it is a public safety or business channel that you have no business on, it is illegal for you to be on it, period.

If it is GMRS, those are private repeaters that you do need the owner's permission to use. Again, it is illegal to use a radio system that you are not authorized for.

So, are you going to tell us the whole story? Let's hear it. What frequency did you transmit on and are you licensed or authorized for it? And who did you hear from about using their repeater?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Just because you have a programmable radio and the capability to program it does not mean you can talk on any frequency you want.

It's not the radio, it is the frequency. If it is a public safety or business channel that you have no business on, it is illegal for you to be on it, period.

If it is GMRS, those are private repeaters that you do need the owner's permission to use. Again, it is illegal to use a radio system that you are not authorized for.

So, are you going to tell us the whole story? Let's hear it. What frequency did you transmit on and are you licensed or authorized for it? And who did you hear from about using their repeater?

First off chill the attitude thank you...Second...Amateur Radio repeater you know ''Ham Radio'' yes I am license yes you can run my callsign ''N4CYA'' via QRZ.com you'll see my information..And last it wasn't business or GMRS don't care to use it anyways. To be honest it was NB9X saying I couldn't use Mototrbo or use any Motorola radio on a ham band but b/s yes you can other ham operators around the states using them check YouTube.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
First off chill the attitude thank you...Second...Amateur Radio repeater you know ''Ham Radio'' yes I am license yes you can run my callsign ''N4CYA'' via QRZ.com you'll see my information..And last it wasn't business or GMRS don't care to use it anyways. To be honest it was NB9X saying I couldn't use Mototrbo or use any Motorola radio on a ham band but b/s yes you can other ham operators around the states using them check YouTube.

The attitude comes because a lot of fools pop up and try to use radios in places they don't belong. And that certainly includes guys with amateur call signs.

Second, had you explained that it was Ham Radio, you would not have heard boo from me. Read your own original post again and think about how it looks to others. You know all the details, we don't. Without the whole story, you can expect people to misunderstand you. And to call you out on it.

Third, in the ham world, you are absolutely correct about both Mototurbo and Motorola radios in general, but without knowing that you are talking just about ham usage, we are left to our own conclusions.

Last I knew, ham radio was a gentleman's (and ladies) world with lots of courtesy and cooperation. Two observations, now that more facts are on the table. First, if it is a privately owned repeater and the owner doesn't want Mototurbo on it, he's got a right to say so. In the same courteous vein, you ought to go along to get along, and just use Mototurbo on a channel where it won't ruffle anybody's feathers.

And, to your credit, if the idiot doesn't know and understand that Motorola or any other brand is OK to use on ham bands, he doesn't deserve his ticket. If that really is the primary issue, you have the right to stand up and say so.

But, as I pointed out, when you tell others about it (especially across the net), you need to tell enough of the story for people to understand the whole situation.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Good point Steve. Trust me I am not like some of the other ham's that come on strong and think I know everything cause I know I'm still learning this hobby which is a great thing. Next time when I post a question or reply to something I'll be more pacific.

73' Jamie (N4CYA)

brandasilva

motorola cps rvn4176g for mts2000 update

hi how can i update my cps for my radio im have cps r01.05.14 with tuner r01.00.00. are there anylinks to update the cps

markkelleyjr

How to clone a ht1250 using software

Can anyone help me? I am needing to clone a Motorola HT1250 using software. getting a error on the basic line of model number error. Any help would be apperciated

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help me? I am needing to clone a Motorola HT1250 using software. getting a error on the basic line of model number error. Any help would be apperciated
With the Pro Series of radios, there really isn't a "clone" option. But you can read one radio and then write to another radio with EXACTLY the same model number as the one you first read. Otherwise, you'll get the error message that you mentioned.

For example, in one of the ambulances I work on, there are three identical CDM1550LS+ radios. They all have the same model number and the EMS Chief wants them all programmed the same. So I can read the radio in the cab, modify the code plug as needed, and then write back to all three radios. However, if any of them were even slightly different with model numbers that are not the same, I would not be able to write to them.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Motorola apx6000, CPS. How much dose it cost if I buy from Motorola. And will it work on Window 7.

Don't know what you mean "If you buy from Motorola". Motorola is the only legal place to purchase and download CPS.
Latest APX CPS (13.00.01) MOL Item Number RVN5224AB.
I am showing a cost of $375.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

jim202

Motorola apx6000, CPS. How much dose it cost if I buy from Motorola. And will it work on Window 7.

Basic answer is yes. Cost is somewhere around $350 if I remember correctly. Call the MOL phone number 800-814-0601 and ask them what the cost is. If you don't have an account, your SOL until you set one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.